Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Exakt primers?

abbafandr

On 4/11/2024 at 4:44 PM, Tundra said:

Hello everyone!

This is Tundra Michigan . We found a " shipping bug " in our system and fixed it .All back to normal . Check it out and thank you!

Still $100 shipping to FL. I think you have more bugs to work out. 

IMG_5787.jpeg

It's ~$54 to ship 5k to Colorado which is vaguely reasonable. $100 for 10k seems like it's using a flat rate per unit rather than something smarter / more realistic that would save the customer money.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/14/2024 at 11:45 AM, MoNsTeR said:

Resurrecting this thread because these just popped up again at a good price https://tundramichigan.com/products/small-pistol-primers-9-mm-boxer-type-5-3-cents-1000-pcs-no-credit-card-fees-we-pay-hazmat-fees?variant=44234308288752

Here's what I notice: the phrasing and typography on the packaging, both box and sleeve, is very similar to Wolf/Tula. I'm holding a box of Tula Small Pistol, and compared to the photo of the Exakt box, "small pistol", "PRIMERS", "Standard Non-Corrosive", and "100 Primers" all appear in the same layout and the same fonts. And looking a full cardboard sleeve of 5000, the glass/umbrella/arrows marking is the same, and PRIMERS is in the same font. The one major difference I notice is that in the photo, the primers themselves seem random rather than "all anvil side up" as Wolf/Tula have been.

So it's possible these are Russian primers being routed through Indonesia to bypass sanctions, or that Russian tooling has been moved (or even copied) there.

Its not possible to get ammo or components from Russia.  The primers are imported as Explosives and have to be registered with the ATF to have the proper docs for import.  Part of that process includes extensive manufacturing documentation, including locations of origin.  If it says from Indonesia, that's where it's manufactured and shipped from. I did some digging, and it looks like the Brand name originated in Ukraine long before the conflict, and some of their ammo was manufactured in Russia before the war.  Looks like that manufacturing relationship has been over for a while now, and any ammo for sale today is left over surplus that is already in the states. 

Indonesia has many large munitions factories. Rebranded? Maybe, but the Seattle importer has to know the source or the ATF would shut them down. About a year ago I posted what a few reloaders in our club found when using EXAKT primers and I am still using part of my second small rifle batch. They work! Aside from not supporting Russia

which is, I think, the issue here until someone proves the Rooskies are the source, use them. Frederal, CCI and Winchester are still gouging us. White River Energetics is a new, USA primer maker and I got some small pistol and large rifle from Republic Ammo in Lima, OH. Until White River can meet demand we are stuck with what we can get.

Posted (edited)

I’ll post an update, last week I got a case of these small pistol “9mm” exacts in from Tundra. The good, they’re “cheap”; the bad, they don’t go boom in my open gun. I run a 17lbs main so I swapped to a 19 and I’ll give it another go this weekend. 

Edited by beltfedgoodness

Beltfed mentioned a new weight, I am thinking it is in reference to a trigger spring. We had a guy that had an issue but his pistols are custom with 9mm firing pins in his 45's. All tests our club members performed were with pistols and small center-fire rifles like .223 & .30 carbine. I tested Beretta 92, S&W .40 and PSA 5.7x28 and Glock 19x. All were unmodified.

Posted (edited)
On 2/14/2024 at 11:45 AM, MoNsTeR said:

Resurrecting this thread because these just popped up again at a good price https://tundramichigan.com/products/small-pistol-primers-9-mm-boxer-type-5-3-cents-1000-pcs-no-credit-card-fees-we-pay-hazmat-fees?variant=44234308288752

Here's what I notice: the phrasing and typography on the packaging, both box and sleeve, is very similar to Wolf/Tula. I'm holding a box of Tula Small Pistol, and compared to the photo of the Exakt box, "small pistol", "PRIMERS", "Standard Non-Corrosive", and "100 Primers" all appear in the same layout and the same fonts. And looking a full cardboard sleeve of 5000, the glass/umbrella/arrows marking is the same, and PRIMERS is in the same font. The one major difference I notice is that in the photo, the primers themselves seem random rather than "all anvil side up" as Wolf/Tula have been.

So it's possible these are Russian primers being routed through Indonesia to bypass sanctions, or that Russian tooling has been moved (or 

I've looked a bit deeper I to the brand.  It looks like it's a Ukranian brand that used to have some of its ammo made by Russians long before the War.  But once that kicked off, no more Russian ammo, so the manufacturing went else where.  Since the ammo brand was successfully, looks like they are expanding to primers made by PT.  

Edited by ShootScootLoot
Correction

On 5/22/2024 at 12:52 PM, 61vulcan said:

Beltfed mentioned a new weight, I am thinking it is in reference to a trigger spring. We had a guy that had an issue but his pistols are custom with 9mm firing pins in his 45's. All tests our club members performed were with pistols and small center-fire rifles like .223 & .30 carbine. I tested Beretta 92, S&W .40 and PSA 5.7x28 and Glock 19x. All were unmodified.

Yes, I had a 17lbs mainspring (hammer spring for non 1911/2011 people) now she’s wearing a 19lbs, I’ll update after range time 

Will be interested in the results. So far, so good on these primers. Some of us are into the 3K mark in usage.

Coffee & pistols 3 days a week at the clubhouse indoor range ended the first of the month. We start indoor

shooting the week after deer opener in northern MN. Being only 90 miles from the Canadien border, we have

a lot of indoor shooters during the colder months. A lot are reloaders so we exchange tons of info between 30-45 people every week.

• 1 month later...

Tried buying these as pickup since im local.  Guy wanted to charge me $260 cash and I was like why?  Even with tax its $236.91.  So sounds like the shipping is padded.  Not playing games, so I passed.

Bought 5000 of the SyA which ive been using anyway from here https://goastrasports.com/product/sya-small-pistol-primers/

Free shipping and even with the hazmat fee still paid less.

That is really disappointing!! When he first offerred these, he sent 200 samples that a few of us tested and then bought 5K boxes. The primers come in 5K boxes from the manufacturer but breaking down to 1K quantities should not be that big a deal. Not sure what happened there. 

Republic Ammo in Lima seems to be getting the White River Energetics primers in larger quanatities. Made in the USA. Republic has a $14.95 hazmat and $19.95 Shipping (FEDEX) as of last week. One of our club members has used over 3K of the SA (servicos-adventura, probably spelled wrong) and they all work fine.

Tundra needs to be more consistent with pricing/shipping. I have used over 4K of the small pistol, no issues. Before I split up the samples, I made measurements to be sure they met SAAMI spec and then the "trial by fire". Good primers though.

2 minutes ago, 61vulcan said:

The primers come in 5K boxes from the manufacturer but breaking down to 1K quantities should not be that big a deal. Not sure what happened there. 

I was trying to buy 5K.

First, thank you having the goastra link. Just ordered 5K from them. Comes out to 0.048 cents per primer. Almost pre Covid pricing. With the sale of Vista Outdoors brands to a Czeck outfit we need to watch for disruptions in supply. I tried to add the article but it was too big. The article was in the Guns&Ammo June 2024. Ammo Acquisitions was the title. A lot of brands including Speer, CCI, Remington and RCBS plus others will now be controlled by an off shore company. I hope it does not trigger another round of hoarding.