Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Discipline and Motivation

GunBugBit

A while back on this forum I got into a discussion about motivation and one comment was that it’s not motivation you need, it’s discipline.

Of course discipline is needed if you are seriously pursuing improvement, and to truly improve.  It’s what keeps you doing things whether you feel like it or not.  It’s what gets you out of ruts and off of plateaus.

For me, motivation is what decides which things I apply discipline to.

I’ve been motivated to apply some discipline to shooting because I enjoy seeing myself improve in an activity that brings me joy whether I’m great at it or not.  I haven’t applied enough to become a top shooter, and I’m not saying I could do that, but I could be better than I am now (nearly all of us could be).

My motivation is:  shooting is among the most enjoyable activities I’ve ever done, and I do have a bit of competitive spirit in me, so I allocate a portion of my discipline to it.  I apply discipline to my work because I like being able to pay my bills and have plenty left over.  I apply discipline to eating healthy and exercising because I prefer to be vital and strong.  Like everyone else, I make choices concerning where I care to apply discipline, and the degree of discipline I dedicate to each thing.

A person might be motivated by a goal like shooting like a boss in any match at every level.  This obviously requires a very high degree of discipline because you will be in competition with others whose level of discipline is also very high.  Even if you are ultra talented, you will compete against people who also have a combination of similar talent and discipline.

We’ve all seen highly talented people beaten by people who work harder, and people whose talent helps them edge out someone who works very hard but the more talented person works hard enough to perform better.  Or, two competitors whose talent/discipline blend seems similar but one has a more helpful mindset.

If you love what you’re doing, that’s going to help.  The man who loves walking will walk a longer distance than the man who loves the destination.

• 3 weeks later...