Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Set-up

RayKu

Hey there,

I am thinking about getting started in 3 gun/multi-gun next season and have been thinking about shooting open with my open pistol. For my shotgun, I have been looking at Remington 1100 Competition Masters.

Will the 8+1 capacity and no compensator/porting be a serious liability in open class? In other words, should I look to a Bennie Hill or JP shotgun built for open instead?

Thanks,

Ray

If you are truly committed to open and will be fitting up an open AR too, then heck yeah, get a JP, or Benny setup.

The 2 round difference will become an issue on occasion and you will also want to fit up with a speed loader system (availabel from the JP website). The sighting system not being a red dot will be less of an issue than the capacity difference will be. The porting is an effective thing, but if you setup for 3 Dram loads and use an IC, or Mod choke, you will have good recoil control anyway. BTW, use reduced recoil slugs too.

Merry Christmas,

RayKu, I got into 3-gun about 4 months ago. I too shoot open class and have put together a real flat shooting Rem. Comp. Master. Everything I need I got from Chuck at Shootersconnection.com(10 rnd ext. tube, speedgate, Arredondo speed loader assist, and the Arms Tec-tec loders. My choke is from comp-n-choke.com in .000 cylinder bore. I had a local gunsmith do the porting....careful with this because the barrel is short so don't over do this or the gun will not cycle properly. I bored out the gas ports, polished the rails and all internals and reduced the recoil spring for it to cycle the really light loads.....This all might seem like alot but trust me it is really not that hard.....I am no gunsmith and performed all the work myself(except the porting)...My theory is, if I cant put it back together then I will pay someone too.....The gun is really, and I mean really, flat and soft shooting!!! I have included a couple of photos....yes, the gun is velocity yellow....Good luck!! :D

post-6763-1135433529_thumb.jpg

post-6763-1135433552_thumb.jpg

post-6763-1135433579_thumb.jpg

post-6763-1135433631_thumb.jpg

Edited by DrawandDuck

You gonna make me add all that up and say "Damn" thats alot of money!!!! Here it goes...

Comp-n-choke $54, Arredondo speed assits $148, 10rnd mag ext tube $70, Speed gate $30 and finally the porting was only $45 for a total of....347.00. I got my shotgun new for $600 sooooo I have $947 invested. The JP in a 11-87 without the porting or comp-n-choke will run $1650 so it is quite a bit cheaper... :wacko::wacko:

Not correct on the JP price. The JP Open setup on an 11-87 will only run $1499.00 :

http://www.jprifles.com/ShotgunPerformancePackage.html

The Tactical/Limited setup on the 11-87 runs $995.00 :

http://www.jprifles.com/ShotgunIpscLimitedTactical.html

The price of the JP Open 11-87 is not that far out of line when you consider that you are getting a melted in JPoint red dot sight and the JP Recoil Eliminator in addition to porting for that price. Plus, the gas system is tuned for light loads and the trigger is tweaked to be better than a stock 11-87 or CM by far.

Another hot setup to look into is getting some Briley chokes in various sizes to change as needed (bbl needs to be threaded for Rem-Chokes). Having the option to change from Modified to IC to a Diffuser is real handy when the stages call for it.

RayKu, I got into 3-gun about 4 months ago. I too shoot open class and have put together a real flat shooting Rem. Comp. Master. Everything I need I got from Chuck at Shootersconnection.com(10 rnd ext. tube, speedgate, Arredondo speed loader assist, and the Arms Tec-tec loders. My choke is from comp-n-choke.com in .000 cylinder bore. I had a local gunsmith do the porting....careful with this because the barrel is short so don't over do this or the gun will not cycle properly. I bored out the gas ports, polished the rails and all internals and reduced the recoil spring for it to cycle the really light loads.....This all might seem like alot but trust me it is really not that hard.....I am no gunsmith and performed all the work myself(except the porting)...My theory is, if I cant put it back together then I will pay someone too.....The gun is really, and I mean really, flat and soft shooting!!! I have included a couple of photos....yes, the gun is velocity yellow....Good luck!! :D

drawandduck

that has got to be the best looking shot gun in ala. has woogie seen it yet? he might try to beat you out of it. well maybe not. it may not be long enough or heavy enough for him. will see all of you b'ham guys an gals next year.

merry christmas and a happy newyear :)B)

r cash

Thanks again George and drawandduck (sorry for making you do the tally). This was only my first season shooting ipsc and I know that the dollars can add up fast. This will be a bit to think about especially since I do like doing non-major modifications myself. Hope you had a merry christmas and have a happy new year.