Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nyc Pistol Permit

Ive read thru alot of websites including NYC gun laws..but im just wondering if it is really that hard to get a Pistol permit in NYC? ive moved from a Great IPSC state Florida then moved to Maryland and now Bayside NY because of My career and my Fiance ..i have a few more stuff in Maryland that i want to bring here in NY but they say it is almost as impossible as heck to get a pistol permit in NYC ...and get this the fee is $400 non refundable if approved or not..just wondering if there are guys here who live in the City and still shoot ipsc and any personal experience when it come to law here in NYC is greatly appreciated...

August

• 2 weeks later...

Move to New Jersey and commute!

is about your only choice there. Unless you want to be a criminal, then you can skip the $400.00 fee and have as many guns as you like!

I used to live in NYC and it was insane, you had to be a politician to get anything done. I was not able to get anything there and the gunshops are very few and almost underground with skyhigh prices.

I live in Puerto Rico now and as bad as it is over here to get a "gun licence" you are going to have it about a thousand times worse.

The only clubs I know are located in long island.

Good luck

Jose

Ive read thru alot of websites including NYC gun laws..but im just wondering if it is really that hard to get a Pistol permit in NYC? ive moved from a Great IPSC state Florida then moved to Maryland and now Bayside NY because of My career and my Fiance ..i have a few more stuff in Maryland that i want to bring here in NY but they say it is almost as impossible as heck to get a pistol permit in NYC ...and get this the fee is $400 non refundable if approved or not..just wondering if there are guys here who live in the City and still shoot ipsc and any personal experience when it come to law here in NYC is greatly appreciated...

August

Another option you have is to leave your guns in Maryland if that is possible and shoot matches in that state.

You will have to leave NYC to shoot anyways...

NYC - FORGETABOUTIT!

Might want to check out Westchester County, NY, about 20 miles north of NYC. Expect to wait about 6 months on a permit (forget carry) that will either allow you to have a pistol for employment, target, or hunting. There are several public and private gun clubs that support bullseye, IPSC, and IDPA.

Also, just over the border in CT, permit takes about 2 months, and believe it or not, carry is O.K. with a lot of private and public clubs within an hours drive.

NYC is the pits!

NYC permits can be obtained, provided you are willing to put up with the following:

- Unreasonable fees both for application and renewal

- A system where obtaining one in a year is considered "getting lucky", and the law is serious when it considers a requirement that they "update you on the status of the application within 6 months of application" is considered "speedy" - and no, they don't have a :) when they say that.

- Unless you are very well connected or have a name like "Donald Trump", "Bill Cosby", "Howard Stern" or "Shaun Penn", you will be rejected if you attempt to get anything other than a "Target only, transport in locked case" sort of permit. And yes, the aforementioned individuals did get unrestricted NYC permits (the notation on a retired NYCPD officer's permit was "full carry").

- NYC has its own requirements as to what guns you may have. As with the rest of NY, all handguns must be listed on your permit before you take posession. I have heard they will not register certain handguns with a large capacity. Rifles and Shotguns require permits/registration in NYC and all the fun ones are banned - existing registration lists were used for confiscation purposes when they passed that law.

Also, just over the border in CT, permit takes about 2 months, and believe it or not, carry is O.K. with a lot of private and public clubs within an hours drive.

CT will also mail order carry permits for non-residents.

Edited by Rob Boudrie