Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 / 929 firing pins

adhocglock

I read a lot of the historical threads on firing pins.  Lots of discussion on whether extended firing pins were necessary, breaking firing pins during dry fire, titanium pins, hollow pins, etc...  Some of the threads were pretty old, but good stuff.

I've been using C&S firing pins and am tired of them breaking.  I want to press the trigger during dryfire, and my solution of removing the firing pin before dry fire is not optimal.

After breaking another C&S pin during live fire with my 627 recently I replaced it with the stock 929 PC firing pin and it is 100% reliable.  Awesome.

So where do I buy replacement S&W 929 PC firing pins?  I internet searched and checked a few familiar places like Brownells and Midway and didn't find anything.

Thanks!

Call them, 1-800-331-0852.

also, for whatever you think its worth, I have apex pins with 100's of thousands of hits on them, i have never broken one and am not aware of any breaking for anyone else either, in years past i had talked to Scott Folk about lifespan of those pins and he basically said its not a question, just keep using it.   Not to say that they will never break but practically speaking its fine indefinitely.

c&s are uniquely fragile, i have broken 3, i have seen other people break them in front of me including 1 time infamously.

Thanks.  I'm not averse to buying an Apex or TK Custom firing pin since they are readily available.  I haven't tried any Apex stuff yet, but I've been very happy with the TK Custom speed hammer in my 929.  The 627 hammer is the stock hammer bobbed.

I read a comment that it was best to use Federal primers with the Apex firing pin.  Any idea why?  I'm running Federal primers now, but that doesn't sound like a direction of goodness.

Thanks again.

2 hours ago, adhocglock said:

Thanks.  I'm not averse to buying an Apex or TK Custom firing pin since they are readily available.  I haven't tried any Apex stuff yet, but I've been very happy with the TK Custom speed hammer in my 929.  The 627 hammer is the stock hammer bobbed.

I read a comment that it was best to use Federal primers with the Apex firing pin.  Any idea why?  I'm running Federal primers now, but that doesn't sound like a direction of goodness.

Thanks again.

The assumption is that if you're buying aftermarket firing pins, you are trying for the lowest action and Federal 100's and 150's have proven to be the easiest to ignite.