Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginner Matches

TimWarner

my 3rd competitive match.

first was a flop, then hit 2 more in one weekend 2 months later.

the second match of the weekend I was getting really confidant with my unlimited gun and dot. Got stuck at the plate rack waiting for over 3 hours. Bad move on my part to shoot my unlimited gun first, went really fast. My best runs to that point were made then.

So...

I promptly fell on my face when I had to look at those black and white blocky dot things stuck to my slide on the next 2 divisions. I went from 4 second runs with the unlimited, to 20ish seconds plus penalties with my G19 and only slightly better with my G34.

I called it a lesson in humility.

Actually, I think I was the only one who laughed, everyone was quiet. I think they were afraid of making me feel bad.

Tim,

I share your pain. I shot my first Glock match back in October.

"Come on down and shoot. You'll have fun!" said Names-left-off-to-protect-the-guilty...Ahem, Barb, Beth, Cindy....

Off to Somewhere South of Atlanta, GA, I went.

Barb, being the sweetie she is, loaned me a gun, magazines, ammunition and gave me, in the nicest possible way, the absolute knowledge that I have no sense whatsoever. She and Rosie also provided me a shower and a place to sleep.

They talked me into RO'ing for Saturday.

I, being the klutz I am, provided comic relief for everyone involved. Misses, re-engagements, reloads, you name it, I found a penalty for it. Lord! The embarassment of it all! You know, just reading the darned stage descriptions carefully would have saved a load of trouble. :huh:

Beth and Cindy provided moral support. Cindy's loving husband, Bill, smiled sweetly through it all, probably wondering how someone could really lack that much sense. :)

The outcome was more than expected. Glock treats their staff quite well. They gave me shirts, dinner, and a magazine. About a week after the match, Cindy e-mailed me that I had won a Glock in the new member raffle. Cool. A gun. It keeps getting better. Later on, I found out I had won $75 at the match, too. I haven't seen the scores, but they can't be good. Guess I have to go look. All in all, not a bad experience. :)

Bottom line is, chin up! You probably did better than you think and you probably met some of the best people you will ever know.

Take care,

Liota

Edited by Liota

• 2 months later...

$75.00 bucks and a Glock

WOW sound like a great first time for me.

I'll shoot my whole life and probably never make it to the money.

Not only am I new to this all but I lack skill

at least I have persistence and a good sense of humor

my 3rd competitive match.

first was a flop, then hit 2 more in one weekend 2 months later.

the second match of the weekend I was getting really confidant with my unlimited gun and dot. Got stuck at the plate rack waiting for over 3 hours. Bad move on my part to shoot my unlimited gun first, went really fast. My best runs to that point were made then.

Cheer up Tim!

Sometimes when you shoot like that ............ you win 1st place C class!