Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Standard Exercises

dajarrel

furthermore....ONLY stages that specify "handedness" (strong hand, weak hand) can be standards. The same holds for stages that specify shooting position (kneeling, prone).

If you ever see a stage that specifies one of these, is HAS to be a Standard Exercise and HAS to have more than one string.

The definition of a Standards is more than one string:

6.1.2 Standard Exercise – A course of fire consisting of more than one separately timed component strings. Scores, with any penalties deducted, are accumulated on completion of the course of fire to produce the final stage results. Standard Exercises must only be scored using Virginia Count or Fixed Time. The course of fire for each component string may require a specific shooting position, procedure and/or one or more mandatory reloads. Only one Standard Exercise of a maximum of 24 rounds is allowed in IPSC sanctioned Level IV or higher matches.

More on Standards:

1.2.2.1 “Standard Exercises” must not require more than 24 rounds to complete. Component strings must not require more than 6 rounds (12 rounds if a mandatory reload is specified).

This rule is a specific exemption from 1.1.5, and it is what allows the use of mandatory reloads...in Standards or Classifiers.

1.1.5.2 Standard Exercises and Classifiers may include mandatory reloads and may dictate a shooting position or stance, however, mandatory reloads must never be required in other Long Courses.

And, this rule is a specific exemption of of 1.1.5, and it is what allows the use of strong and/or weak hand shooting...in Standards or Classifiers.

1.1.5.3 Standard Exercises and classifiers may specify shooting with the strong hand or weak hand unsupported. The specified hand must be used exclusively from the point stipulated for the remainder of the string or stage.

----------------------

furthermore....ONLY stages that specify "handedness" (strong hand, weak hand) can be standards. The same holds for stages that specify shooting position (kneeling, prone).

I think you stated that backwards. A Standards (or classifier) is the only place that you can[i/] specify "handedness", etc., but a Standards isn't required to do so.

If you ever see a stage that specifies one of these, is HAS to be a Standard Exercise and HAS to have more than one string.

Right. B)

Edited by Flexmoney

The definition of a Standards is more than one string:

More on Standards:

I think you stated that backwards. A Standards (or classifier) is the only place that you can[i/] specify "handedness", etc., but a Standards isn't required to do so.

What I was trying to say was that IF a stage had a requirement for handedness or shooting position, it has to be a Standard Exercise.....but a Standard Exercise doesn't HAVE to have the handedness or shooting position. As added side info....Classifiers can't have "handedness or position" requirements without being a Standard Exercise. I learned that from John Amidon during my recent Level II CRO course. Yes I know it say "Standard OR Classifier"....but it's only in Standards that you can specifiy that kinda stuff.

If you go back and read some of the earlier rule books...its clear that Standards only allow handedness/position requirements. When they did the new rule book last year...the words kinda got messed up.

Thanks for the speedy replies.

Regarding mandentory mag changes, weak and strong hand shooting, and kneeling/prone positions... were these the basis of the "standards" in standard exercises. In order for something to be a "standard" there has to be a common thread between one and another. Something that promotes the same skill set.

dj