Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about resizing mixed range brass .223

atldvd

Hi, I'm brand new to reloading, and I wanna start reloading .223.  I have a whole bunch of range brass and I'm wondering if I resize them all with the same resizer die (and setting), will they all pretty much be at the same headspace reading?  Or, will they all be bumped back BY THE SAME amount, but still be different?  My hope is that I can resize them all to a standard headspace reading and I won't have to check each one with a case gauge.  Then I can trim to a standard length, and they'll then be somewhat consistent.  This is just for AR-15 plinking ammo, so high precision is not necessary.  Just high reliability and safety!

1 hour ago, atldvd said:

have a whole bunch of range brass and I'm wondering if I resize them all with the same resizer die (and setting), will they all pretty much be at the same headspace reading?

For the most part if you correctly set the die for head space they will all size okay. They won't be exactly the same because of difference in metal and thickness, but they should gauge. I have sized thousands of range brass and find the major issues is the ejection groove sometimes is beat up.

One thing you will find is neck tension will vary depending upon the head stamp. Not a problem until the obsession kicks in to perfect your ammo. 🥴

Also if you are reloading on a progressive press the powder funnel can distort the neck and shoulder causing the finished round to not gauge.

You will find your process will require some time to perfect and get the ammo you want. 

Edited by HesedTech

12 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

For the most part if you correctly set the die for head space they will all size okay. They won't be exactly the same because of difference in metal and thickness, but they should gauge. I have sized thousands of range brass and find the major issues is the ejection groove sometimes is beat up.

One thing you will find is neck tension will vary depending upon the head stamp. Not a problem until the obsession kicks in to perfect your ammo. 🥴

Also if you are reloading on a progressive press the powder funnel can distort the neck and shoulder causing the finished round to not gauge.

You will find your process will require some time to perfect and get the ammo you want. 

Thank you for the response!  I'm on a single-stage press for now, so it sounds like I'll be ok!

You will be fine unless your shooting benchrest. If your extremely patient you can sort them for batches but its not all worth it if you're shooting steel at 100 yds or 300 for that matter.