Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting A P12 To 38 Super

shadetree

I have been thinking about a carry gun in 38 super. I have a P 12 I like the feel of it, It fits well in my hand and points well. I have been toying with the Idea of converting it to 38 super. Has any one had this done before?

The one big problem I see is finding or making apropriate length magazines. The gun would be useless with out mags. Someone suggested tweeking P14 40 mags. but I see there is another poast hear that advises against that. My thought was to have para 38 super mags cut down and rewelded to fit. Does sti make a mag tube that would work?

Any input on the fesiblity of this Idea would be apriciate.

Merry Christmass

A.M.C.

I have been thinking about a carry gun in 38 super. I have a P 12 I like the feel of it, It fits well in my hand and points well. I have been toying with the Idea of converting it to 38 super. Has any one had this done before?

The one big problem I see is finding or making apropriate length magazines. The gun would be useless with out mags. Someone suggested tweeking P14 40 mags. but I see there is another poast hear that advises against that. My thought was to have para 38 super mags cut down and rewelded to fit. Does sti make a mag tube that would work?

Any input on the fesiblity of this Idea would be apriciate.

Merry Christmass

A.M.C.

Converting the 38 super tubes seems like a better idea. Trimming and flanging them to work could be an option. I don't know that STI makes any more Para tubes. The larger capacity ones seem to be a rare thing these days.

Vince

would it not be easy to just use the para 9mm hawg mags..

you would have to measure them.

but this sounds like a interesting weapon..

Kind of like the Phantom that the Craigs made and later briley took over..

keep us updated to what you might do.. and if you do include some pics.

Actually you have more than one issue to address.

There is the breechface issue. The P-12 is a .45 ACP slide with a breechface too large to work properly with the smaller .38 Super cartridges. That is unless you are also going to change the slide. Essex Arms makes a superb 38/9mm Commander slide which can be cut down to Officers Model size (P-12) and will be affordable. It is also available in stainless steel.

As for the magazines... yes, you can use the P-14/40 mags after readjusting the lips a little bit. Retain the original followers, as they work best. That is when they do work. Sometimes Para magazines can be a pain in the butt. Do not use the P-12 mags as the "too small diameter rounds" will bunch up and jump under the follower, creating a real foul-up. But even after the ban expiration it seems to be hard to obtain "high cap" P-14/40 mags. I can sure use some of them for my Para LDA 14/40 ( which I use in both .40 S&W and 10mm.)

Thank you for the input.

Replacing the slide with a 9mm/38 size slide was always part of the plan. Like I mentioned above Para's web site is the only place I have seen p14 40 mags.

I did not check on availablity and they are $50 apiece

On a similar note: anyone run into any snags converting a 9mm Para (Like the LDA P18) to take 9x23? Of course the gun & barrel can more than handle the extra power; that is beyond dispute. But what about the P18's magazines?

On a similar note: anyone run into any snags converting a 9mm Para (Like the LDA P18) to take 9x23? Of course the gun & barrel can more than handle the extra power; that is beyond dispute. But what about the P18's magazines?

Just buy the barrel and fit it. According to your loads increase the recoil spring weight. Now you will have a two caliber gun. :D As I mentioned above I often carry an LDA 14/40 with a 10mm barrel. Works great.

Para-OrdLDA002.jpg

As for magazines, they are becoming more available, especially in the full sizes, like the P-18.

That sure is a purdy p14.

Para has a p10 sized gun in 9mm now. Would that slide fit on a p12?

Ejector would need to be replaced, slide may need to be fitted. Would need reliability work, it is a 3" slide (barrel portion) Vs a 3.5", so some additional work may be needed, a good smith should be able to do it though.