Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ar-15 W/ Removable Front Sight And Handle/rear Sight

richardschennberg

I'd like to mount a scope on an AR-15 without having it way up on the handle, but without losing entry light because the front sight is in the way. I've seen many "flat tops" that allow the easy removal of the rear sight/handle (it is mounted on a weaver base). Do any AR-15s allow the removal of the front sight in addition to the rear sight/handle? I suppose it would be O.K. if the handle and front sight are optional equipment, i.e. you can buy a new rifle with just the weaver base and no sights.

www.yhm.net has great products if you want to make the rifle useable with a scope or with iron sights. I personally would want to make the rifle for scope only, with the option of adding removeable or flip-down sights later. Do any manufacturers have a model that has a weaver base but no front sight installed (or removeable/flip down front sight), or do you have to take the front sight off? For example, I have an Armalite AR-10 .308 with removeable front sight and handle/rear sight. The handle is mounted to a Weaver base that is great for mounting a scope.

All the JP flat top AR's have a gas block with integral rail. This allows the use of clamp on front sights and carry handles. Here is an example:

http://www.jprifles.com/IPSC_LimitedClass.html

There are many types of front sight available including an A2 model with ears by DPMS.

It looks like Bushmaster makes flat tops without sights, but only with 16" barrels.

Armalite and JP have flat top models, possibly with 16" or 20" and with or without comp.

Colt appears to sell just to military, law enforcement, and security companies.

Anyone else?

"This quality add-on - for your V Match Rifle or Carbine - clamps right around the milled gas block base to offer an iron sight alternative to your V Match. It is designed to be used with any open iron rear sight that can be attached to the flat-top upper receiver such as the A.R.M.S. Swan Sleeve, the A.R.M.S. # 40 Flip-Up Rear Sight, the G.G.&G Rear Flip-Up Sight, or our A3 Type Removable Carrying Handle. B.M.A.S. Front Flip Sight is machined from quality billet aircraft aluminum to strict military standards. It locks up or down with the push of a button and installs with an Allen Wrench. It is elevation adjustable and includes a mil. spec. front sight post installed. Additionally, the base is drilled and tapped to accept sling swivel mounts."

This is from Bushmaster's site. Made by YHM, but only available from Bushy. There is no need to change gas block. The sight can be installed on HBAR barrel anywhere from sight to muzzle.

Here is a pic of mine.

ar15.BMP