Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Square Deal B, link arm brass bearing stuck

I notice a squeaky sound from my SDB, but could not locate the source. Then there was a resistance in the motion of the mechanism, so I figured it was about time to clean and lubricate. When removing the link arms I found the one of them was almost stuck, it took a lot of force to pivot it around the knob on the frame of the machine. I got the link arm off, but the brass bearing is really stuck on the knob, and it also seemed to be a bit marred on the outside.

There was no way to remove it gently, and after trying harder and harder I eventually accepted the I will have to replace the brass bearing, so I went at it with pliers and WD40. It is now completely marred up from the pliers and can be turned quite easily with the grip and momentum of the pliers, but not at all by hand. I am not able to make it move off the knob, not at al laterally, just spinning.

How do I get it off? And what do I do if not only the bearing but also the knob of the frame is marred and rough? It is a casted part of the frame, nothing that can be switched out. 😢