Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Electronic ear muffs

PK1911

Hi, I have Peltor Sprot Tactical 100 electronic ear muffs. They are good, however once they muffle a shot, the do not "reset" for several seconds. This causes me to 

miss conversations and I have to pull a muff off of my ear to hear what is being said. If it picks up a shot from an adjacent bay, I have to pull the muff off of my ear to hear commands from an RO. Are there any electronic ear muffs that do not have such a long delay to "reset"?

thanks

I see (and wear in cold weather) a lot of Howard Leight Impact Sport at matches.  For a low

pricepoint muff they seem to work well.  I put a set of gel cushions on mine.

MS Sordin makes a great muff, but they are more money.  I've tried them and like them.

For most of the year I use a set of custom molded in the ear electronic plugs from 

House of Hearing.

All of the above have no noticeable "reset" time.

Edited by open17

I have the Howard Leight Impact Sport Bolt muffs.  They claim to have a 0.5ms attack time that is "250x faster than standard Impact Sport models".  

I've not used the standard model so I can't compare, but they do react and restore hearing VERY fast. 

In fact, it's so fast that I was shooting Steel Challenge standing next to the range shed and the Bolts would cut the audio for the gun shot but not the reduced volume echo off the side of the shed!  

When the gun would go off, you'd hear the "boof" of the gun and an immediate "crack" of the echo. 

My strings were "beep" "boof" "crack" "boof" "crack" "boof" "crack" "boof" "crack" "boof" "crack"... which was very distracting.  Turning off the muffs during "make ready" solved that problem entirely. :)