Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CGW mods for shadow 2

ColoradoNick

Right now I have a shadow 2 optic ready model that I've installed some CGW mods to. I just ordered a Shadow 2 Orange and I'm debating what to do with it. It will be used for bowling pin matches and maybe steel challenge.

In my optic ready model I've installed the extended firing pin and spring, 11.5lb hammer spring, 11lb recoil spring, upgraded trigger pin w/reduced weight trigger spring, and flat DA/SA trigger. I have the short reset disconnector but I'm a little intimidated by the install. 

I can do the same mods to the orange that I've done now for $120 or do the full pro-kit for more than double that to get the hammer and disco. Is it really worth it? 

Edited by ColoradoNick

(a Pittsburgh Nick here, LOL)

No orange here, but I do have a pair of optic ready s2s. 

I installed the whole pro kit to the first one, along with a polish of all of the parts that were not replaced.  The reach reduction disco didn't require any fitting in that case.  The trigger weight, pull smoothness, and length of pull are all really nice in my opinion.  Pistol is right where i want it.  Shoots great and the break is predictable and clean.

Picked up my second one recently and have been incrementally installing the same mods, then comparing to the first one.  Last night, I ordered the CGW race hammer as the last part.  They didn't have the adjustable sear in stock (that i used for the first one), so I will be hand fitting it to the safety for that one.  The disco for the second s2 did require some fitting (material removed and re-polishing) as it wouldn't reset with the slide on (oddly functioned normally with it off).  The hammer does clean up the trigger press some, to me.  It's just more linear with the pressure required between the staging and the break.  Not necessarily lighter, but i was able to feel it in dryfire as well as live fire.

I prefer the 11.5# mainspring as it lights off all the primers i use (CCI, Fiocci, federal).  Additionally, i shoot exclusively 130ish power factor ammo, so I use the 12# red recoil spring in both too.  

I did not like the feel of the mushy safety lever on my OR, so i tried the CGW replacement spring for that (right side safety detent spring) and it added a better tactile click to the engagement.  Not too hard to actuate, just not as mushy, i recommend that too, even for the low-pro safety models.

I was under the impression that the s2O already had the short reset disco as well as the lighter springs.  I would recommend modding the OR first, then comparing side-by-side to determine what you want the orange to do.  It may be near perfection as it is.

For the disco install, make sure you have a decent starter punch to get the pins out.  They're in there good.  Get the CGW replacement pins too for it too.  It's not terrible to install, but for me (the t6 disco) i did need to remove and fit it a few times to get it perfect.  There's a hump on the one engagement face that may need to be smoothed flat.  My one needed it while the other dropped right in.