Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornandy Loads?

PFISTO

Good morning,

I just got my shipment of Hornady bullets today.

1) 185 gr swc target encpsulated

2) 200 gr FMJ-CT

3) 230 GR FMJ-FP

Just wondering if anyone has any load info on these. I am using VV 310, VV 320, WST

I have the manuals for each powder but was just looking for some proven loads.

In the WST listing it states 200 gr FPj which is not the same as mine except weight but I guess the load would be the same??? The 185 says JHP MINE again is the same weight but different style???

Thanks in advance

Can't comment on those specific bullets, but it takes 4.2-4.3gr. of N310 to make major PF with a 230gr. FMJ out of my Kimber. It took 4.5gr. of N310 to get up to major with 200gr. lead bullets, so I didn't even bother experimenting with jacketed. N320 would probably work better with the lighter bullets.

You didn't mention it, but here's another option for the 230gr. bullets: Clays (straight, not Universal.) It takes the same charge weights as N310 to make major in my gun and feels about the same. Very soft recoil and I see no difference in accuracy. N310 is a little more consistent in velocity. Other than that, I've had a hard time justifying the extra expense. They both burn clean and are remarkably similar, but Clays is about half the price around here.

Standard safety advice: Every gun is different, so what works for someone else is not necessarily going to perform the same for you. Start low and work your way up with a chrono and watch for pressure signs. The loads I mentioned above are at or above manufacturer listing, so don't go dropping those right off the bat. ;)

I use quite a few different Hornady bullets for my hunting rounds because they are a good value and work very well in my guns and the quality and repeatability are excellent.

I've always gone right to the "horses mouth" and called Hornady direct rather than agonize over trying to find every starting and max. load for every bullet.

Call:

1-800-338-3220

and follow the kind of whimsical recorded menu they have for a tech. and help.

Bob there does a great job with the help by the way.

Tom