Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Appendix mag change, dry practice times?

Twilk73

When I’m practicing my reloads from appendix what sort of time should my ultimate goal be. Also how do you time yourself? My current setup is gun up, presented at a zone, when the shoot timer buzzes I pull back release the magazine and draw my spare magazine from my appendix carrier, then present gun back at a zone and break the shot. Once the shoot is broke that’s when my time stops. Is this right if all I’m trying to practice is reloading? If it is right what’s a good time. My cold time is about 1.9 seconds and while that feels smooth 2 seconds sounds slow. 

Any tips are appreciated. I’m working it smooth and I feel like I’m going fast. But timing myself 2 seconds just seems slow. Im just trying to figure out what kind of time I should be going for and also how I’m timing myself. 

Edited by Twilk73

That is how I time myself.

I’m around 1.5 from concealment from 10 o’clock and sub 1 second from comp belt. To clear shirt I lean to the right which clears most of the clothing. I also try to drop mag before retracting pistol. Obviously the more vertical the pistol the quicker it clears.  Also add a metal base plate to mags. Helped me a lot. 

4 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Slide lock reload or loaded chamber?

Typically I do not include a trigger press in this type of thing.

A par time 75% of what you can do live fire is a good start.

Loaded chamber. Sorry I missed that detail. No trigger press makes sense I just wasn’t sure. 

12 hours ago, Cnickolas said:

That is how I time myself.

I’m around 1.5 from concealment from 10 o’clock and sub 1 second from comp belt. To clear shirt I lean to the right which clears most of the clothing. I also try to drop mag before retracting pistol. Obviously the more vertical the pistol the quicker it clears.  Also add a metal base plate to mags. Helped me a lot. 

Thanks for the input. I’m rounding out my dry fire practice and I’m just trying to figure out efficiency in practice and goals should ultimately be.