Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Model 10 Sight Question

flagaman

I generally shoot a 686, but I have a model 10 Smith & Wesson that I enjoy shooting for a change of pace. It shoots well, but takes much more concentration to shoot accurately. I have tried several color schemes etc. to make the sight picture quicker and more user friendly. Wearing bifocals does not help.

My queston is, can the fixed sights be increased in size without machine work? If not, is it possible to mount adjustable sights on this gun, or is it even worth the effort? I seem to remember reading that several members use model 10's in competition occassionally. Input from model 10 shooters would sure be helpful here.

Thanks.

I think the Model 10 is used quite a bit in PPC. But I think most of them mount a Bo-Mar Aristocrat rib sight or something similar. This is probably more money than you are looking to spend. I did see an adjustable sight added to the rear of a model 10 on Gun Broker but it looked like it would fall off it the gun was shot. I don't think there is any way to increase the front sight size without machining. However it should be a pretty easy machining job.

Lawman and Patrick, many thanks for the feedback. I guess I have to decide if putting some money into a gun thats only worth a couple of hundred or so is a wise choice, but I do like the feel of a model 10. Oh well.

Bill,

Interesting the way the new sight was dovetailed to the barrel. Was selecting the right height a problem? Did you do anything to help you pick up the rear sight quicker? Have you shot the gun in competition? If so, did the sights slow you down much?

Guess I won't have a problem with dovetailing the front but I am still curious as to what could possibly be done to help the rear sight.

Any feed back will be appreciated.

Thankyou.

When I first had the front sight done, the gunsmith put a plain Novak sight on then cut it down to sight it in. Later I put the same height fiber optic sight on. Brownells part # is 296-000-004 I think. Measure the height of your factory sight if it hits where you want it. I'll bet it is .150" high or pretty close.

For the rear sight I just opened it up with a file. :) It is .160" wide now and as deep as I could get it.

I actually think the sights are very fast. Low and close to the bore. Almost like shooting a shotgun.

Yes I have shot it in competition. Mostly IDPA with a little USPSA thrown in. I am including a picture from my best finish with the model 10. ;)

post-2236-1134003042_thumb.jpg

post-2236-1134003140_thumb.jpg