Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading everglades 124gn JHP

Bakerjd

These Everglades are very similar to the Zero and Precision Delta JHPs that I load; and I always choose, if given a choice, the seating stem that seats on the ogive vs the nose.  I'm currently using a Redding Competition Seating Die; and IIRC, it only provides one stem side for seating off the ogive of most bullets.

If your die utilizes a combo SWC/RN stem, I'd do some testing to determine the tip that primarily pushes on the ogive.

HTHs

👍

Hmm. You know I'm really not sure. How would I check that? I had tried some of the flat point blue bullets a while ago and swapped the seating stem for the one with a flat end and couldn't get any consistent OAL. Also I'd like to be able to just have to adjust the die itself as it's a Lyman micrometer seating die and it would be super easy. Just note the micrometer reading for 9minor and 9 major and adjust depending on what I'm loading.

10 minutes ago, Bakerjd said:

Hmm. You know I'm really not sure. How would I check that? I had tried some of the flat point blue bullets a while ago and swapped the seating stem for the one with a flat end and couldn't get any consistent OAL. Also I'd like to be able to just have to adjust the die itself as it's a Lyman micrometer seating die and it would be super easy. Just note the micrometer reading for 9minor and 9 major and adjust depending on what I'm loading.

Looking at the instruction set for the Lyman Micrometer die, it does offer two different seating stems:  HP or RN!

https://www.lymanproducts.com/media/catalog/product/7/7/7700980_micrometer_seating_die_instructions.pdf

IMO, this die sets up and adjusts very similar to the Redding Pro Micrometer Seating Die that I use!  I would also be using the HP seating stem for bullets such as you described above (Everglades JHP V2).  I do see they are described as a "RN" bullet, but that's a bit misleading IMO.  Compare the Everglades to the Zero and/or Precision Deltas:

https://benstoegerproshop.com/zero-9mm-125-gr-jacketed-hollow-point-jhp-bullet-projectiles-2-000/

https://www.precisiondelta.com/products/9mm-124gr-jhp/

Over the years, using the same Redding Die, I have developed a note book that lists precise COAL/OAL settings on the micrometer for any bullet size/style I have used.  And it is VERY repeatable as long as I maintain the same loading setup on the press.  And I always set up and test the seating and other die settings with a full shellplate.  Running a single case through the press (RL1100) will get me close, but a full shell plate gives greater consistency for the seating depth/OAL I'm after.

HTHs!

:)

Definitely looks like the PD ones are more of a cone shape. Thanks for the info! And yes I love the repeatability of the micro seating die. 

Edited by Bakerjd

• 1 month later...

Got about 500 loaded using the RN seating stem amd all is good. Also ordered a case of the PD V2 124gn JHP. They are also a round nose so should load just as well. And were .09c each when I ordered them.