Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TSO .40 recoil spring

Warrior75

What rate pound spring are you using? My load is 173 pf. I  was using whatever spring came in the gun from factory with the buffer. It seemed to shoot pretty flat. I was told factory spring was 16 lb. I bought a couple Wolff 16 lb. springs for replacement. I have yet to shoot it with a replacement spring. I am curious to what other are using. I know this all depends on the load you are using.

On 3/16/2022 at 7:40 AM, Warrior75 said:

What rate pound spring are you using? My load is 173 pf. I  was using whatever spring came in the gun from factory with the buffer. It seemed to shoot pretty flat. I was told factory spring was 16 lb. I bought a couple Wolff 16 lb. springs for replacement. I have yet to shoot it with a replacement spring. I am curious to what other are using. I know this all depends on the load you are using.

Ive actually been toying with the DPM systems 3-spring setup. You can definitely tweak the feel of the recoil impulse with it. I already shoot 200 rounds a session as it is, but it definitely takes a pile of ammo to get the feel right. I was using the 16lb with the factory guide rod, then moved to a 15lb. Now Im on the DPM setup

CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow/Shadow Line-Tactical-Phantom & TS Orange – DPM Systems Technologies Ltd

Edited by Guitarmageddon

Currently using the lightest spring that was included with the TSO (11 pounds I believe) and the thick buffer. My loads are also at 173 and I can confirm that recoil impulse is much better with the lighter spring, return to zero is much better as well. I was getting some muzzle dip with the heavier spring (gotta remember they come from the factory ready to run factory ammo with a PF of more like 200), switching to the lighter eliminated that completely. Try out the lighter ones and see what you think, your brass will be landing 3 bays over just FYI. 

I shot a match Saturday with with the 16 lb spring. I did not get a chance to test it beforehand. The gun ran fine. (Other than I had 2 light strikes. Primers looked like solid hits.) It did not seem to dip when going  back into battery, but I will try some lighter spring and see if it is better. Thanks for the replies. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2022 at 7:44 AM, Warrior75 said:

It did not seem to dip when going  back into battery

This is something that can be difficult to percept, if you have someone take a slow motion video (iPhone will do) you will be able to see the difference. 

What I did was take slow mo of the all the different springs, watched them back side by side, and picked the one that had the best return to zero. 

On 5/2/2022 at 9:24 AM, CC3D said:

This is something that can be difficult to percept, if you have someone take a slow motion video (iPhone will do) you will be able to see the difference. 

What I did was take slow mo of the all the different springs, watched them back side by side, and picked the one that had the best return to zero. 

Good idea on taking video. I did try a 12 lb. spring  vs a 16 lb. I did not care for the 12 lb. Felt like the sights raised more. I ended up trying a 14 lb spring. Shot a  club match last week. As I prefer the feel of it, over 16 lb. I will have test them again with video.