Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Much Can You Learn In 30 Days?

Merlin Orr

I'll use golf as a comparison. I believe the parallels between these games are spooky close. When I picked up a set of clubs for the first time I was a 30-32 handicap. During one 45 day period (approx. two-three evenings a week from 1/2 to 1 hour in length) my practice was supervised (along with 6 to 8 other players) by a pro. This practice period was bookended by two 45 minute long personal instruction sessions. My handicap dropped to a 16. Over the next month after a couple tournaments and practice it dropped to 11.

My point is that good instruction is a must. It provides us with a base. Having learned repeatable solid technique can't be overstated. It affords us a luxury. Now all, or nearly all your focus is course management. And scoring.

I'd like to see access to more good instructors in this game too.

• 1 month later...
IF you had 30 days..

you have 30 days !!! why go to an extreme! get 3 IPSC targets ... 4 mags and NO AMMO! just dry fire ....do a smooth draw and two (pretend shots) on 1st paper RELOAD and repeat on # 2 and 3 ...you should transition during the reload ... so you might do some draws without the reload to practice transitions. and then start adding movement! masking tape makes a good box. Do that for a month 5 days a week and you'll see improvement!

Most B shooters don't practice but once a week (IF THAT!) practice a little every night and start thinking about shooting ALL THE TIME! And you'll make A easy ...

The right teacher and student combo and you could go from B to grand master with 5 days a week 6hrs a day for 30 days ... well...at least master class

That easy, huh?

I think it's time to take a break and leave my workshop!?

One month dedication on the range and then kick ass :lol:, hope it works for me, 'cause I'm not talented.....

Gear doesn't suck: SVI-guns, Limcat and other expensive stuff available: isn't it just me....being the critical factor?

My luck: Burkett's and Kirsch'es DVD feed-back available :ph34r:

Edited by schmitz

This sounds what (if I remember correctly) Barnhart did in the 80's when he made the choice to get good. He shot 400 rounds a day for 30 days.

Interesting huh? Good luck and if you need some advice drop me a line.

Interesting...

So, Matt. Think that a Sow's Ear might be transformed into a Silk Purse? Under the right conditions...

PM sent.

Merlin, what's your intention?

Henny.

Good question. Short answer. To do more than anyone (other than myself) believes possible by utilizing the best of every possible resource.

Apparently to keep that answer to himself :lol::lol:

Sounds like someone came up with a Master Plan :huh::huh:

Go get em

I'm in the process of trying to figure out a plan for this spring. I have to young babies and for the life of me I can't figure out a schedule for 30 days of shooting and add in that I have been working 60hrs a wk for the last month makes it even harder. The best I'm coming up with is 4 days a week. I was thinking of doing double sessions on the weekend. I won't let shooting interfere with the family but I'll work something out.

Flyin40

Edited by Flyin40

Merlin, what's your intention?

Henny.

Good question. Short answer. To do more than anyone (other than myself) believes possible by utilizing the best of every possible resource.

Apparently to keep that answer to himself :lol::lol:

Sounds like someone came up with a Master Plan :huh::huh:

Flyin40

When I posted at midnight after my 14 hour fishing trip and that 24 pack it seemed a good answer..... :rolleyes: