Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Force required, at case, not press handle, to de-prime?

ropsitos

I can't seem to find this with my google fu, and I have to believe someone has measured it at some point, somewhere.  I can take the assembly into work, and use a force gage in a press, but I'm not there right now and I loathe going into the office of late. 

It appears to be at least above 60lb based on the ghetto experiment I just did with a dumbbell, spent 9mm casing and decapp rod.

I want to look into designing a simple hand crank semi automated decapper, and I want to see how much I can 3d print vs having to machine.

Thanks
Bob

Seems like I read a post or saw a YouTube video where some guy did a very scientific test and he determined that for every pound of force on the handle of a Dillon 550 exerted 26 (something like that) of pounds of force at the shell plate.  I would like to know the answer to this also.  

On 1/7/2022 at 10:05 AM, ropsitos said:

I can't seem to find this with my google fu, and I have to believe someone has measured it at some point, somewhere.  I can take the assembly into work, and use a force gage in a press, but I'm not there right now and I loathe going into the office of late. 

It appears to be at least above 60lb based on the ghetto experiment I just did with a dumbbell, spent 9mm casing and decapp rod.

I want to look into designing a simple hand crank semi automated decapper, and I want to see how much I can 3d print vs having to machine.

Thanks
Bob

I can't give you a measurement but my hand depriming tool doesn't require anywhere near that amount of force. Granted, it does have a lever but I don't believe the mechanical advantage is that much.

https://harveydeprimer.com/

i-g6nBnmz.jpg

That's pretty clever!

I have to say though that for bulk decapping, I like my set up of using a 650 tool head with a Lee Universal decapping die and just run them through the 650 using the case feeder. I can do a thousand rounds about 20 minutes. It does lack the ability to sort out small/large primers, but I do that visually before running them through.

I made it into the office today with a couple random 9mm range pickup cases. Not really enough to do math on, but until I run some more...

All in Newtons and peak force.

avg 284

es 130

sd 54

If we suspend disbelief for a moment, the 3sigma + avg is 447, so I'd think a 500N (~112lb) max design load would be a good place to start.

If I get the chance I'll run some more.  Not sure it will happen as we are in the process of laying people off like mad, so I won't know if I end up on the block.

Thanks
Bob