Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are your max rounds of 40 in a 140mm magazine?

ramairthree

Considering using one of my old EIIs for Limited.

With, say, the Mec-Gar 13 or 15 round magazine , drop the +2 baseplate if it’s a 15, add a +4 Taylor Freelance, to the basic mec-gar 13 round 40 body, I’m thinking 16 with the stock spring and follower, maybe 17 with a grams engineering follower.  It’s still giving up the full 20 rounds in other brands in a 140.

1 hour ago, ramairthree said:

Considering using one of my old EIIs for Limited.

With, say, the Mec-Gar 13 or 15 round magazine , drop the +2 baseplate if it’s a 15, add a +4 Taylor Freelance, to the basic mec-gar 13 round 40 body, I’m thinking 16 with the stock spring and follower, maybe 17 with a grams engineering follower.  It’s still giving up the full 20 rounds in other brands in a 140.

When I was shooting a Brig 92FS, the MecGar 20 rounders in 9mm, would usually hold 15 rounds of .40S&W (for those few times I tried shooting Major with a Brig 96FS)

There might have been one or two mags that I could force 16 into, but that was more like the exception instead of the rule.

That was the usual standard plastic MecGar base.

I never tried anybody else’s mag bases.

FWIW, way back then, I also had a Glock 22 with standard capacity type mags.  I traced around the Glock mag with like a red ink pen or marker.  Then I placed a Beretta 92 mag on top of that original red outline, and traced around the Beretta mag with a green pen.  I also took measurements with my digital calipers.  Almost 15 years later, I still have no idea how Glock does it.

😕

Edited by Chills1994

The standard, classic 92 15 round magazine holds 11 of 40.  With modern springs, 12.

the mec -gar magazine body is 18 rounds of 9mm and 13 of 40.  With their +2 baseplate, it’s sold as a 20 for 9mm and 15 in 40.

there are aftermarket baseplates that will take the mec-gar body to 22 of 9mm.  23 if you get a grams engineering shorter follower.  And meet the 140mm length for CCO/Limited.

I am thinking maybe 17 with that aftermarket baseplate.  Just seeing if anyone has tried it.

12 minutes ago, ramairthree said:

The standard, classic 92 15 round magazine holds 11 of 40.  With modern springs, 12.

the mec -gar magazine body is 18 rounds of 9mm and 13 of 40.  With their +2 baseplate, it’s sold as a 20 for 9mm and 15 in 40.

there are aftermarket baseplates that will take the mec-gar body to 22 of 9mm.  23 if you get a grams engineering shorter follower.  And meet the 140mm length for CCO/Limited.

I am thinking maybe 17 with that aftermarket baseplate.  Just seeing if anyone has tried it.

Yep!  I hear you.

I have not tried that combination of mag and base pad you mentioned.

I originally started shooting a Brig 96 with factory .40 WWB ammo for Steel Challenge.  It would sling brass into the next county.

Is there a recoil spring weight and/or main spring weight that you like?

(To be edited in just a minute)

Edited by Chills1994

I was fine with the stock spring set up-

but to be honest I was shooting production with 40 minor.

I believe I had settled in on 165 grains at 800 fps.

it had less, well, perceived recoil  -

than 147s 9mm at 900fps or 124 gr 9mm at 1050 fps.

( I had just spent about a year and a half of splints, cast, surgery, pins, etc.)

i don’t have a bunch of time shooting major PF ammo with the 96s