Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

depriming pin for redding pro series titanium die set

I  do love my 9mm pro series titanium die set. it works great with my dillon 55c.  Have loaded about 3,000  rounds  and like the results.

one caveat not seen with my dillon depriming/sizing die--the depriming pin gets stuck between the newly inserted  primer rim and the case pocket rim..and the  depriming pin pulls out.This has happened  3/3000  rounds. I asked Redding about this. I thought this is a safety measure( removable pin) to avoid  breaking the pin in certain circumstances. They confirmed that. I  am able to reinsert the pin and keep loading. However with every round loaded   I   have to watch for the depriming pin inside a newly primed case now(  so   with every round, I  make sure the case is a good one(no defects),watch that a new primer gets inserted, watch the powder charge for consistency, watch the primer slid e  to be sure the  holding screws( for the primer tower) are not too tight)  and now I have to be sure the depriming pin is still in the die.

This  thread is not  about complaining. As I said, I like the  product and the company. My reloads   are  fine and the set works as designed. Just wanted to alert those who are buying them of a feature  some might not consider.

In contrast, I KNOW dillon depriming pins  can break.  Hard to do --Yes.  But  that is a reason I have depriming pins for both  redding and dillon on hand.  If they break , it would be on a holiday--ask me how I know

happy holidays all

Edited by boatdoc173

This was recommended to me a while back when I was experiencing the same issue..............from a friend who's an engineer at Redding:

We’ve been hearing reports from folks that some pistol brass manufacturers have been sneaking small flash holes in their brass.  It sounds like that may have been what happened as it pinches the decap pin in the flash holes and pulls it out of the decap rod.  This makes removing the case from the shellholder difficult sometimes.  

To combat this I’ve been recommending that folks try a small benchrest size decap pin.  This usually alleviates the issue.

I also inquired into really tightening down the pin retainer once I had the correct pin length protruding from the holder:

With regard to tightening the button - feel free to grab onto the knurling with pliers for a little mechanical advantage - I would just caution you not to squeeze with all your might.  On this particular die the pin retainer doesn’t do anything but hold the pin so if you rub the black off of the part or flatten some of the knurling it will still function just fine.  The pins are tough little buggers........

Got a few of the slightly smaller benchrest pins, and they have eliminated any issues!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012974329

👍

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp

A few years ago, I bought a spare 650 tool head and mounted a Lee universal de-capping die in it on it's own. I now use it to de-cap all my brass before cleaning. Without any other dies or operations taking place, I can almost out run the case feeder. Reloading already de-primed brass is a touch easier on the press stroke too.  Might not be a great set up without a case feeder though.