Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZC A01LD issues

Freddytt

I had the same issue.  I contacted CZC.  They said that could could tap it on the butt (held upside down) with something like a bench block.  But if that doesn't work, you have to drive the hammer pin out and break the retaining pin.  That is what I had to do.  It took a little effort, but it worked.  CZC should have replacement retaining pins to use after this. 

3 hours ago, jripper said:

I had the same issue.  I contacted CZC.  They said that could could tap it on the butt (held upside down) with something like a bench block.  But if that doesn't work, you have to drive the hammer pin out and break the retaining pin.  That is what I had to do.  It took a little effort, but it worked.  CZC should have replacement retaining pins to use after this. 

Thanks bro

I was able to get it drilled out and changed the pin

16 hours ago, Freddytt said:

Thanks bro

I was able to get it drilled out and changed the pin

Good deal.  I hate drilling out pins and screws.  Always afraid I'll screw something up.  Glad it worked out

I’ve changed the hammer out of both my A01LDs.  The retaining pin is held in place by gravity and any suction created by grease on the pin.

In order to get the retaining pin to drop out, you need to flip the frame upside down and place it against something solid (I use a block of oak). From there, I use light taps with a brass hammer against the butt of the frame. The key is to make sure that there is enough transfer of energy from the hammer to the pin.  If you don’t put the frame against something solid, the energy from the hammer tap is absorbed by the material that the frame is resting against instead of being transferred to the retaining pin.

Also, you don’t want to use heavy hammer blows because that will actually cause the retaining pin to stay in place rather start to move out.

Hope this helps.