Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Dot Size?

Rocket4

I was given a mount for an Optima red dot sight. Since they are now wearing JP clothes, I have decided to give the J-Point a try on my G22. I would like advice on what size dot I should get. 4 MOA or the 8 MOA? I am classified "A" class in Lim and Lim 10, but have yet to try Open division as of yet. Should be a hoot!! Any and all information would be greatful! Thanks in advance. Also I was planning on loading 135 gr Zero bullets with a slow burning powder, yet to be determined. I have a KKM match barrel with comp, Glockmeister brass magwell, extended tungston guiderod, Lightning Strike interals and polished trigger assembly. I should be all set once I decide what J-point to go with. B)

Edited by Rocket4

Lots of lookers but no replies so here's my take on the subject.

I was going to recommend 6MOA then reread your post. If 4 and 8MOA are the choices I'd pick 8MOA. More shots up close than far away and even a 50 yarder the 8MOA will only cover 4 inches of the Alpha. The bottom line ......you have to try it for yourself. The only dot that is true for me having stigmatisms (sp) in both eyes is the eotech. That being the case a 4MOA is more like a 6-8 for me.

Thanks for your input. I was thinking 8 MOA but wasn't sure since I never really used a red dot optic before. What kind of comparison do you think it has with the .100 Dawson Fiber Optic I am using?

Much bigger but remember your focus will be on the target rather than the sights it's pretty weird. I shoot mostly iron sights. Just went to the Dawson FO on a Glock 35, really like that sight. It's fun to shoot the dots. I've got several, C-More, Adco and Tasco. I like the C-More the best.

Another advantage of an 8MOA is shooting into the sun it will be easier to pick up the dot. Only downside is long shots over 35 yards as the dot covers more of the target. It would be nice if you can try other shooters guns as that's the best way to see what you really like.

Well I will give the 8 MOA a try. I am getting pretty anxious about trying this out. I think I have a starting load figured out. 135gr Berry plated Hod HS-6 powder Win. primers and such. I am going kinda cheap as I spent alot on stuff already and the testing phase can be pricey. There is a local 4 classifier match coming up in January, perfect time to shoot some classifiers in open huh?! Thanks for your input.