Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Alpha Powder Dropper & Case Tension

d3ydx3

I saw the previous Alpha Powder Dropper thread on here from last year and it looks like @hwansikcjswohad some case tension issues. Wanted to see if anyone else has had case tension issues w/ the Alpha dropper and 9mm? While getting into Open and loading some 9 Major, I discovered that I was getting bullet setback with the Alpha dropper & Dillon sizer, specifically with Blazer and Federal brass (no surprise). I changed back to the Dillon powder dropper, which fixed the case tension issue. I'm not a fan of how much flare I have to put on a case to get a bullet to stabilize on the case for seating with the Dillon powder dropper. Now, I went back to the Alpha dropper w/ and added a Lee U-die and that seems to work OK. Just curious what everyone else's experiences are with the Alpha and case tension?

I'm expanding to the minimum amount with the Alpha dropper. Right now my bell is around .378-.380, so nothing crazy. If you have an Alpha dropper, then you know you have to expand pretty deep before it starts belling. 

I also use the Alpha dropper for my 40 S&W setup, and I have no issues there with the Redding dual ring carbide sizer.

Edited by pealandco

It’s ok I noticed no set back but I went back to mr Bullet feeder one I was getting some failure in case gage. Roll sized brass Dillon sizer an lee factory crimp. Might try DAA funnel u don’t have to flair as much as Dillon