Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

compensated loads vs light non comp loads (czechmate)

Squirrel45

I have just started messing around with steel challenge open class. Currently using my Czechmate and running 9-10grs or #7 with a 100g bullet. I was wondering if it would be better to change out the comp for the limited muzzle weight, and run say 3 or 4gs of some fast powder? Hope that makes sense. 

thanks 

Squirrel 

It really depends on how you want the gun to feel.  Most Open SCSA shooters I know run loads in the 144 to 155 PF range.  That is enough gas to work the comp without a lot of recoil.  Another reason is they can get their major gun to run minor loads in that range.

If you are willing to change recoil springs, there is no reason not to shoot fast powder mouse fart loads for steel challenge.  You are not double tapping.  Surprisingly, a small charge of fast powder will still work the comp to some extent.  Recoil is mild and muzzle rise is minimal.

I built a dedicated 1911 Open gun specifically for SCSA.  I normally run minor loads at 140 PF.  My home club will not allow compensated guns in their outlaw competitions.  So I fitted a new plain bull barrel and got it to shoot to the same POI as the main barrel.  I shoot mouse fart, poly coated bullets through it for those matches at it works fine.  Recoil and muzzle rise are actually less than with the 140 minor load.

Thanks ZZT, 

that is what I was looking for. In your opinion is either option better then the other? Just a  note my current load is a 142PF, perhaps im not going a bad path that way either. 

thanks for the help 

Squirrel  

1 hour ago, Squirrel45 said:

Thanks ZZT, 

that is what I was looking for. In your opinion is either option better then the other? Just a  note my current load is a 142PF, perhaps im not going a bad path that way either. 

thanks for the help 

Squirrel  

You'll have to experiment for yourself to know for sure.  I like both.  It is certainly cheaper to load with a fast powder, especially since you are using so much AA7.  Find yourself a pound of either e3 or Sport Pistol and give them a try.  Do NOT use Clays.  The comp is not going to do much flattening with the low powder charge, so take it off if you like.  Less weight hanging off the front will certainly help with transitions.

Right now I'm experimenting with 124s to see if I can find a light load that I can tune the PCC for and still have it work in the Open gun (either with or without the comp).  So far 3.2gr SP or 2.8~2.9 of e3 looks like I'm in the ball park.    3.2 SP under a 115 is so soft in the PCC you can barely feel it.  I plan to try it soonest in the Open gun.