Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Grip Replacement

eric nielsen

Question that's probably answered with the purchase of a new STI replacement grip:

How do I get the plastic grip off after every hex screw has been removed???

It looks like the screw bushings/nuts have to be tapped out from the outside-in. Or do they stay where they are? Bought a used grip & I can't find the answer on sviguns.com or stiguns.com.

Also, how do you remove the trigger bow? On a Caspian it comes straight out the back.

Thanks for all replies!!

Yes, the grip bushing inserts need to be tapped out from the outside. leave the grip screws screwed in a couple of threads and tap them. Remove the small screw in front of the triggerguard using two allen wrenches. Holding the grip upside down (over something soft) tap on the underside of the frame. When it begins to move, wiggle it up and down until it comes free.

Once the frame is removed, remove the mag release and the triggerbow will slide out backwards.

Bill

Thanks Bill - that worked perfectly!

The old grip came off easy, the new one went on a little snug, & I'm up & running.

Muchos gracias

Eric-

I thought you were an "old hands" with "alphabet guns", or is it just Caspians?

While you have the grip out you might consider putting in one of their "shorter triggers". This might help some with your gripping problem. If you wish, I can get you one of "those modified" extra high angled beavertails, but you would need a short spur hammer like those from SVI for it to work, and then watch out for slide "furrow tracks" in your hands.

:D:o

Venry

Yes I'm the STI rookie, at least for taking a grip off. I know Caspian, singlestack, Glocks [large & small frame] and Tanfoglio [3-4 frame types].

I might take up your offer on the super-high beavertail. I like those. But since I put on a stock grip [no undercutting] and an Ice magwell, the gun almost points TOO high. I was used to drawing with the undercut grip and now I have to push out to more of a full extension with my arms. Very good problem to have. :) This is the gun I should've bought 8 years ago.

I still want to shoot your hyper-comp open gun, might get down to Miami to see family there next month. Maybe your design would be a good top end for later on. You should post more pictures of it and maybe count how many machine cuts it requires! 100s??

Well, welcome aboard the land of the "alphabet guns". You'll like it here. The grass is "greener".

Whenever you want one of those extra angled beaver-tails let me know. It's done with a small "pie" cut and a weld spot... it allows your hand to grip even higher than the highest high grip 'tail in the market. I learned it from an IPSC shooter that insists he is proud of his"train track" cuts in the crook of his hand.

As for the top end with the Hyper-Comp, I know we can work something out that will make you very happy. :D:D:DB)B)

Well, got to go now. On Saturday afternoons I spend the time at Pantera Guns in Miami. Sean is a good friend to IPSC shooters and I like to help him out. Sean's is about the only store in this parts that caters to IPSC shooters, and carries a full store wide supply for us with reloading supplies, holsters, belts, and all kinds of "necessaries". You can visit or shop online at http://www.panteraguns.com This is a nice place to shop, and Sean Gilley is the right kind of guy to help us. My $0.02 :)