Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cr Speed Wsm Holster And Versa-pouch Mods

cautery

First, let me say that I really dig my CR Speed gear... I like it so much, I bought a second set to use with my open pistol when/if I build it. In addition, the folks at CR Speed (Cathy and Franco) are great people and a pleasure to deal with...

However, neither the Versa Hanger on my WSM holster or my Versa-Pouches would stay exactly where I wanted them... Even with the security wedges in place. So, I have come up with one solution.

I drilled and tapped the belt hangers for set screws.

On the holster belt hanger, I drilled from the front face because:

1) It is the thickest portion of the hanger, and

2) You can tighten the set screws while wearing the holster... like while you are setting the position.

3) It also allowed me to use a 1.375" x 1.375" piece of 22 gauge steel sheet as an insert between the set screws and the belt. This provides better clamping force, AND protects the belt.

Note: I used TWO set screws to make sure the holster wouldn't twist in place in addition to sliding fore and aft.

Here are some images... warning, the are about 110K each, but they are good images.

WSM Holster #1

WSM Holster #2

On the Versa-Pouches, I used the same approachexcept I drilled/tapped the edge of the belt hangers. I'm pretty sure you can use the Versa-Pouch security wedges as belt protection inserts rather than having to make up metal spreaders. Even if you have to make the metal inserts, it's still a cool deal.

Here are the images:

Versa-Pouch #1

Versa-Pouch #2

Hardware: (note: I used metric hardware since the rest of the hardware is already metric)

M5 x 0.80pitch x 8mm long set screw (2ea. per mag holder)

M6 x 1.00pitch x 8mm long set screw (2ea. for the holster)

1.375" 1.375" x 22 gauge sheet steel (or equivalent) for a holder clamp spreader.

Tools:

-11/64" drill bit to drill pilot holes on mag holder belt hanger

-13/64" drill bit to drill pilot holes on WSM belt hanger

-M5 x 0.80 pitch tap (make sure it is 0.80pitch as there is a 0.90pitch tap found commonly too)

-M6 x 1.00 pitch tap

-Hand tap holder.

-Drill press (not required, but recommended) for drilling pilot holes AND can be used to make sure M6 tap is started squarely in the aluminum holster belt hanger.

-60 degree chamfer bit/tool (not required but recommended to clean up pilot holes before tapping (especially the holes in polymer)

Additional Materials:

Blue thread locker... just a small drop on each set screw once you have it all where you want it. DO NOT use too much on the polymer. DO NOT use red thread locker. DO NOT over tighten the set screws on the mag-holders... it is not necessary.

Hope y'all find this useful... :)

OK... Here is an "errata" for the procedure above.

Instead of 1.375" x 1.375", cut the holster clamping spreader to 1.1" x 1.375". This will allow the spreader to sit in between the top and bottom seams on the belt within the belt hanger. This will make it 1) easier to inert between the belt and hanger, and 2) prevent it from distorting when the set screws are applied.

Heh, I was wondering if I had a solution looking for a problem there for a minute. ;)

My holster was "stable" for the most part in the fore and aft, but it had a little play and could rock in place. I figured it was only a matter of time before the outer belt wore enough to let it creep... hence sets screws for it too.

Drop me a line if you have any questions...

I consider it vital to put adhesive velcro on the back of anything on a CR Speed belt. This at least ensures your gear stays where it is when the belt is on.

I still wasn't satisfied with the stability of the holster hanger, so I took some of the loop-side velcro and stuck it on the inside of the hanger tunnel (so it interfaces with the hook-side of the belt). It is now rock-solid.

Neat approach. I don't need it on the inside of the holster hanger tunnel, but I might add it to the back of the hangers to get a better/more secure grab on the inner belt. Have a brand new box of the stuff somewhere...

I tried adding velcro on the inside of the holster and mag pouches, but more often than not it stays stuck to the inner belt when I take my rig off. Even so, it seems to help stabilize the portion of the belt where the mag pouches are mounted due to the fact they're closer together and the inner and outer belt don't lock together as well. The velcro helped in that area.

I don't think the additional velcro is any substitute for using set screws... Set screws are much more secure... But the additional velcro DOES seem to be the answer for better inner/outer belt lockup when you have mag pouches close together.

At the TSL, I used a couple of zip ties around both belts to cinch it tight... Works, but you have to cut/replace everytime you remove your outer belt.