Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RMR 115 JHPs .. overall length ??

selecw

I just started loading RMR 115 JHPs in my Rafferty open gun.

The max OAL I can get is 1.135 - after that there is not enough gripping surface left in the case to hold the bullet. Is this normal? The bullets have an unusual profile.

Normally I load to 1.165 with Montana Gold and Everglades bullet. 

Thanks for the help.

Edited by selecw
Update

I load for a Glock Open gun, so I’m limited by mag length.

I think if you use the formula for bullet seating depth I think you come up with about 1.130ish?

That being said I seat them to 1.150” to allow for variation in a magazine limited to 1.160ish.

I use a stout dose of the Lee Factory crimp die and have no issues with setback. And yes I’ve pulley a few to check for deformation.

These and the Everglades 115JHP both performed much better for me at the longer COAL. I tried them at 1.130” and they sprayed all over the place. At 1.150” 10 shot cloverleaf. COAL made a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

52 minutes ago, iflyskyhigh said:

I load for a Glock Open gun, so I’m limited by mag length.

I think if you use the formula for bullet seating depth I think you come up with about 1.130ish?

That being said I seat them to 1.150” to allow for variation in a magazine limited to 1.160ish.

I use a stout dose of the Lee Factory crimp die and have no issues with setback. And yes I’ve pulley a few to check for deformation.

These and the Everglades 115JHP both performed much better for me at the longer COAL. I tried them at 1.130” and they sprayed all over the place. At 1.150” 10 shot cloverleaf. COAL made a big difference.

how “stout” is your crimp?

what crimp do you use?

About .002 under bullet in case dimensions.

I use an undersize sizer so the case neck tension is doing the bulk of the holding of the bullet. Crimp probably isn’t doing a lot.

I’m not saying anything I do is correct. Just what I am doing...

Sorry. I should have mentioned I too am using a Lee U Die.

Okay. Just remeasured. I actually made them 1.155”. I was kind of surprised how consistent they were for using mixed brass. I pulled a random dozen and they all measured 1.155”

Crimp at the meaty part of is .375” and .376” right at the mouth of the case.

I think the undersize of the U Die is probably helping with neck tension with as little of actual bullet is seated.

I tried 1.157 oal with a .378 crimp. The bullets were not gripped enough by the case walls. I could twist them an pull them out. From this, I conclude a tighter crimp - like iflyskyhigh is using - is needed at that length. I am also using the Lee U die and roll sized brass.

I tried 1.157 oal with a .378 crimp. The bullets were not gripped enough by the case walls. I could twist them an pull them out. From this, I conclude a tighter crimp - like iflyskyhigh is using - is needed at that length. I am also using the Lee U die and roll sized brass.

I can’t twist the Bullets on any of mine. Even out to 1.170.

Roll sized brass also. Was using lee undersize die. Recently switched to a Redding ultimate which is also an undersize die.

Can you twist one prior to the crimp station after seating? I would check that first and see what your neck tension looks like prior to crimp.

I expand with an expander die only and do not expand on the powder die.

6 minutes ago, kujo929 said:

I can’t twist the Bullets on any of mine. Even out to 1.170.

Roll sized brass also. Was using lee undersize die. Recently switched to a Redding ultimate which is also an undersize die.

Can you twist one prior to the crimp station after seating? I would check that first and see what your neck tension looks like prior to crimp.

I expand with an expander die only and do not expand on the powder die.

I will check the twist in the seating station. I imagine I can twist it. Can you measure your outside neck diameter at the crimp?

I will check the twist in the seating station. I imagine I can twist it. Can you measure your outside neck diameter at the crimp?

On a random round I just pulled it measured 1.165 oal

On part of case where bullet is inside of case measured .378

Crimp .376

15 minutes ago, kujo929 said:

On a random round I just pulled it measured 1.165 oal

On part of case where bullet is inside of case measured .378

Crimp .376

.376 isn’t super tight but maybe it’s enough - and you are using 115 JHPs not 124s?

.376 isn’t super tight but maybe it’s enough - and you are using 115 JHPs not 124s?

Yes 115 RMR’s currently

Used 115 PD’s and 124PD’s with same measurements before I ran out of them.

5 minutes ago, kujo929 said:

Yes 115 RMR’s currently

Used 115 PD’s and 124PD’s with same measurements before I ran out of them.

I was using MGs And Everglades, but tested PDs. The RMR has a much fatter shorter profile with a longer load bearing surface than the pointier profile bullets. I am surprised you can load it that long. I will clearly need to do more experimentation. Can you post a pic of one of your rounds?

I was using MGs And Everglades, but tested PDs. The RMR has a much fatter shorter profile with a longer load bearing surface than the pointier profile bullets. I am surprised you can load it that long. I will clearly need to do more experimentation. Can you post a pic of one of your rounds?

3cb6848dbb9bc9092ad530329507eba9.jpg

115 PD and a 115 RMR. Both at 1.165

Excellent. Given the different profiles, does the PD have a much longer jump to the rifling?

I would assume so. But I don’t remember what the change was on the micrometer seating die when switching between them. It wasn’t a large adjustment.

It’s not something I pay much attention to when loading for pistols.