Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RMR 115 JHPs .. overall length ??


selecw
 Share

Recommended Posts

I just started loading RMR 115 JHPs in my Rafferty open gun.

 

The max OAL I can get is 1.135 - after that there is not enough gripping surface left in the case to hold the bullet. Is this normal? The bullets have an unusual profile.

 

Normally I load to 1.165 with Montana Gold and Everglades bullet. 
 

Thanks for the help.

 

 

Edited by selecw
Update
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I load for a Glock Open gun, so I’m limited by mag length.

I think if you use the formula for bullet seating depth I think you come up with about 1.130ish?

That being said I seat them to 1.150” to allow for variation in a magazine limited to 1.160ish.

I use a stout dose of the Lee Factory crimp die and have no issues with setback. And yes I’ve pulley a few to check for deformation.

These and the Everglades 115JHP both performed much better for me at the longer COAL. I tried them at 1.130” and they sprayed all over the place. At 1.150” 10 shot cloverleaf. COAL made a big difference.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, iflyskyhigh said:

I load for a Glock Open gun, so I’m limited by mag length.

I think if you use the formula for bullet seating depth I think you come up with about 1.130ish?

That being said I seat them to 1.150” to allow for variation in a magazine limited to 1.160ish.

I use a stout dose of the Lee Factory crimp die and have no issues with setback. And yes I’ve pulley a few to check for deformation.

These and the Everglades 115JHP both performed much better for me at the longer COAL. I tried them at 1.130” and they sprayed all over the place. At 1.150” 10 shot cloverleaf. COAL made a big difference.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


how “stout” is your crimp?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

what crimp do you use?

 

About .002 under bullet in case dimensions.

 

I use an undersize sizer so the case neck tension is doing the bulk of the holding of the bullet. Crimp probably isn’t doing a lot.

 

I’m not saying anything I do is correct. Just what I am doing...

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry. I should have mentioned I too am using a Lee U Die.

Okay. Just remeasured. I actually made them 1.155”. I was kind of surprised how consistent they were for using mixed brass. I pulled a random dozen and they all measured 1.155”

Crimp at the meaty part of is .375” and .376” right at the mouth of the case.

I think the undersize of the U Die is probably helping with neck tension with as little of actual bullet is seated.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried 1.157 oal with a .378 crimp. The bullets were not gripped enough by the case walls. I could twist them an pull them out. From this, I conclude a tighter crimp - like iflyskyhigh is using - is needed at that length. I am also using the Lee U die and roll sized brass.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried 1.157 oal with a .378 crimp. The bullets were not gripped enough by the case walls. I could twist them an pull them out. From this, I conclude a tighter crimp - like iflyskyhigh is using - is needed at that length. I am also using the Lee U die and roll sized brass.

I can’t twist the Bullets on any of mine. Even out to 1.170.

Roll sized brass also. Was using lee undersize die. Recently switched to a Redding ultimate which is also an undersize die.

Can you twist one prior to the crimp station after seating? I would check that first and see what your neck tension looks like prior to crimp.

I expand with an expander die only and do not expand on the powder die.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, kujo929 said:


I can’t twist the Bullets on any of mine. Even out to 1.170.

Roll sized brass also. Was using lee undersize die. Recently switched to a Redding ultimate which is also an undersize die.

Can you twist one prior to the crimp station after seating? I would check that first and see what your neck tension looks like prior to crimp.

I expand with an expander die only and do not expand on the powder die.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I will check the twist in the seating station. I imagine I can twist it. Can you measure your outside neck diameter at the crimp?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will check the twist in the seating station. I imagine I can twist it. Can you measure your outside neck diameter at the crimp?

 

On a random round I just pulled it measured 1.165 oal

 

On part of case where bullet is inside of case measured .378

 

Crimp .376

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, kujo929 said:

On a random round I just pulled it measured 1.165 oal

 

On part of case where bullet is inside of case measured .378

 

Crimp .376

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.376 isn’t super tight but maybe it’s enough - and you are using 115 JHPs not 124s?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • selecw changed the title to RMR 115 JHPs .. overall length ??
5 minutes ago, kujo929 said:


Yes 115 RMR’s currently

Used 115 PD’s and 124PD’s with same measurements before I ran out of them.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I was using MGs And Everglades, but tested PDs. The RMR has a much fatter shorter profile with a longer load bearing surface than the pointier profile bullets. I am surprised you can load it that long. I will clearly need to do more experimentation. Can you post a pic of one of your rounds?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I was using MGs And Everglades, but tested PDs. The RMR has a much fatter shorter profile with a longer load bearing surface than the pointier profile bullets. I am surprised you can load it that long. I will clearly need to do more experimentation. Can you post a pic of one of your rounds?
 

3cb6848dbb9bc9092ad530329507eba9.jpg

115 PD and a 115 RMR. Both at 1.165


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Excellent. Given the different profiles, does the PD have a much longer jump to the rifling?

I would assume so. But I don’t remember what the change was on the micrometer seating die when switching between them. It wasn’t a large adjustment.

It’s not something I pay much attention to when loading for pistols.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...