Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single pass reloading on a 650....

Chills1994

Hi Chills, thanks for your time explaining your MO.

Very unconventional but if it works for you, all the power to you. I stopped messing with neck tension for semi-auto's long time ago and settled on 0.003/4 inch. I use a Forster FL sizer that creates much less neck runout than any other FL223 sizer (with expanderball) I have (Dillon/Lee/Redding S/RCBS/Mighty Armory) or even a mandrel. I like to experiment too. 😉

Only thing that raises my eyebrowes a little is that you would want to measure caselength after FL sizing.

For some of my 223 loading I use a Mark 7 Evolution that has a onboard trimmer option. But the trimmer is a beast and raises other practical complications. Other runs I do on a Dillon 650 or a Harrell's BR turret press.

Stay safe!

Mark 7 Evo eindelijk compleet!.jpg

Edited by RGA

You are welcome!

As far as runout goes,  yeah, I have heard those Forstner dies are the best.

I measured all 47 pieces of that PMC brass for case length before I lubed them.

Then I measured 5 to 10 of them right after the Redding S die resized them but before they got charged with powder.

It was kind of a PITA to take those 5 to 10 cases out of the shellplate, measure them for  length, and then stick them back into the shellplate so they could get charged with powder.  So I didn’t measure all 47 of them.

As far as neck tension goes, the 0.245” bushing is just what I used on that Lake City brass.  I have a bunch of different bushings.  It’s just my first time using that S Die and any bushings.  Previously, I had used a Lyman M die to open the case mouth back up and knock off any burrs from trimming.  (There is another method that can be used but it involves pin gauges and collet style bullet puller dies.  I think there is a company in Texas that is selling rounded over pin gauges for just that purpose now.  But that’s probably best left for another thread at another time).

when I fire the 46 complete rounds, I’ll be sure to get all the brass back and measure each piece for length (while still at the range).

yeah, that is a nice reloading set up you have.  I think the guy behind Fast and Friendly Brass was the first to adapt a Bosch woodworking router into a trimmer for brass.

I did have one other idea pop into my head last night... which might or might not work.  You know how for .300 Blackout brass you can put a washer under the small pistol case feed plate?  That .300 Blackout brass stands up vertically in the teeth/gap of a small pistol case feed plate before it drops  down into the press.  If one could get .223 brass to stand up like that, then one could literally put a “bar” inside the casefeeder to knock brass that was 1.77 inches long or longer out of the gap.  

kinda like this... kinda, but in reverse (just add some sort of threaded adjuster to the “bar” that has enough resolution to let 1.76” or 1.75” cases pass through/under while preventing say 1.77” cases from entering the press)

FB04698E-3C6C-4F02-A138-02F8BB733D98.jpeg

Edited by Chills1994

I am still fiddling around, kicking around ideas on how to get the casefeeder to filter out the too long cases.

My latest iteration is putting the large rifle plate behind or under the large pistol feed plate.  

One would think it would just be a matter of hanging an adjustable “finger” or “rake” into the bowl to knock the long cases out of their slot before they can drop into the press :

0523E33F-097D-46B0-A494-C307A9DEF1A6.jpeg