Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

changing gears when shoting a stage

Tango

On 7/12/2020 at 11:15 AM, Cliveb said:

The accelerator drill is excellent - I modify it slightly by setting up a mini popper as the far target (propped up so it doesn't fall) - and also try to get 2 hits on it to make sure my recoil control is good.

Run it both near to far (decelerating) as well as far to near (accelerating)- you'll find both situations in matches. Push as fast as you can while getting your hits and use a shot timer to analyse your split times on the near/medium /far targets (another reason why I shoot 2 shots on the mini popper).

Dedicate a whole training session just to this drill (if necessary, more) - and then run it regularly going forward to maintain the "gear-changing" skills.

Great ideas!  Will be doing this next trip to range

• 5 months later...
On 7/10/2020 at 11:47 PM, Tango said:

One issue I have: I can get stuck in the too accurate/slow gear or in the hosing gear during a stage. I can do both types of shooting separately, but not in the same stage. If the stage involves tough shots or it is a mentally challenging stage, I will be very accurate but slow. Obviously, not good for HF. Other times, I can be quite fast if the stages involve mostly hosing type arrays, but throw in a steel or partial in that stage, I will miss. It seems I am not able to switch between super aggressive hosing vs. careful shooting during a stage, as appropriately required. 

I am a new A class. Any advise here?

Part of this is stage planning. Depending on you, there might be a preference for starting on faster targets or slower targets. I personally try to plan so that I have easier targets when entering/exiting a position or coming off a reload. I'd rather have the harder shots in the middle or end of a string, after I've adjusted my grip during easier targets and my body has settled. But you should also KNOW where the hard and easy shots are before you get there, the stage should be fully in your mind with a plan that takes into account "When entering position 2, I'll be able to burn two targets to my left while I settle, then settle and hit the hard target, then transition hard and hit the exit target while my bodyweight shifts to give me the best possible explosion to the next direction."

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...