Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Slide Indexing Assembly

While finishing up a small run of 9mm reloads, the press got stiff and all but locked up.  Seems the primer slide indexing assembly came loose at the lever arm bracket that attaches to the primer tube magazine shield.  Nothing appears to be bent; however since this is my first 1050/1100 machine, I'm wondering what caused the assembly to come loose?  Or was it simply not tightened securely when it left Dillon?

I talked to my go-to guy at Dillon, and we're going to hook up first thing tomorrow morning as this evening he was covered up.  I did understand when he briefly mentioned there are vertical and rotational adjustments that can be made at the silver bracket that affects the position of the cam plate assembly and slide actuating lever.

To be honest, I would much rather tap into the vast knowledge here at the Forum if anyone has a sound procedure for setting this assembly up CORRECTLY!

I did find an old post that contained this information concerning adjustments for the S1050 machine:

It sounds like the primer arm/cam assembly is not low enough, where it is clamped around the black steel primer shield. To properly adjust it, pull the handle down on the machine, and manually manipulate the primer slide so the alignment pin goes into the hole. Now, loosen the clamp screw on the primer arm/cam assembly, and slide it down until it bottoms out in the track that the primer slide is in. Now back it up only .010", the thickness of a business card, and snug the clamp screw.

Thanks!

Mine was loose when it came from Dillon also. 

The first time I operated the machine it started flapping around. 

I'm brand spanking new to the machine at this point, don't have even half a clue how it all works and I'm going "wtf" that can't be right...oh well...figured it out ok in the end.

I've taken it off several times now for cleaning and those instructions are essentially what I do also for re-installation.

11 hours ago, ddc said:

Mine was loose when it came from Dillon also. 

The first time I operated the machine it started flapping around. 

I'm brand spanking new to the machine at this point, don't have even half a clue how it all works and I'm going "wtf" that can't be right...oh well...figured it out ok in the end.

I've taken it off several times now for cleaning and those instructions are essentially what I do also for re-installation.

ddc:

I talked with the Dillon Tech earlier, and he's basically saying that with the handle/toolhead all the way down, eyeball/move the slide actuating lever to vertical/straight position.  Then raise the lever arm bracket anywhere from .010" to no more than .050" up on the magazine shield and snug the screw.  He recommended scribing a line around the mag shield for future reference. 

Last step was to rotate/align the actuating lever/bracket assembly so that the tip of the actuating lever was riding close to the center of the brass bushing/primer slide assembly.

I was really scratching my head trying to figure out why it came loose........Tech thinks it was a bit too loose when it left the factory.

I now understand why the "seasoned" 1050/1100 users keep stating that Dillon needs to update the priming system; but in all fairness it works fine when everything is adjusted correctly!

Thanks for your feedback! 

10 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

I now understand why the "seasoned" 1050/1100 users keep stating that Dillon needs to update the priming system; but in all fairness it works fine when everything is adjusted correctly!

Mine has been working ok so far other than that one eff'up starting out.

Probably have about 6k/7k through it so far.

Changed toolheads at about 3k and took the opportunity to detail strip and clean the primer mechanism.

That has to help keep it running smoothly. I ought to do it again before too much longer.