Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22LR Conversions for the 1911

Hi Chriss, The problem is I cant shoot circles around squat. I want it for cheap pratice until i get good enough to start burning 45 ammo. I'm debating either a 10/45 or Conversion, and cost is a big factor this time of the year.

Also i'd prefer the slide stop to work.

Just found the Wilson unit...

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/accessories/22_conversion.asp

I think Ciener (sp?) makes one, or at least used to, haven't been able to locate a site for them yet. Still looking.

Thanks

mike

(Edited by GunRunner at 10:46 pm on Nov. 29, 2001)

Thanks Storm, I just found that one too. Do you have any idea of the price?

I've found references to a Kart conversion at a couple places, and Wolf carries springs for it.

One problem with web searching is you find a lot of neet things to distract you. I earlier searched for Bowling Pin Specs and after several hours only had abt 1 hour of actual search time for them.

I also found out the Wilson Conversion is also aluminum so the slide stop is most likely inactive in it too.

mike

(Edited by GunRunner at 11:42 pm on Nov. 29, 2001)

I use the Colt conversion. It may not be as accurate as the marvel but every thing functions like a Colt. With the split chamber it has more bark and recoil,which is why they designed it that way. If you use quality ammo you can keep it from gumming up. Weight and balance are about the same also. No aluminum slide. I picked mine up for 150.00 when I was at a gun shop a fellow wanted to buy a Ithica 1911 off a guy but wasn't interested in the conversion. The Old guy selling wouldn't split the set, so I graciously offered to solve both of their problems.

The new Colt conversion is different.  I like the old one, with the floating chamber.  It is reasonably accurate, and reliable with ammo it likes.  Mine loves Federals, including the American Eagles.

The slide stop works, but the part of the mag follower that trips it wears quickly.

I think some of the other conversions use the colt mags.  They are not cheap, and loading them will kill your thumb in short order.

The firing pin does not hit the chamber, but I broke a firing pin from dry firing, so don't do it more than you have to.

I also broke an extractor, they are kinda thin.