Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Storm Lake 6 Port 9mm Barrel

oct_97

I have a Storm Lake 6 port barrel for my G-35, between it and the "THE" Brass Magwell it makes a huge difference in muzzle flip and recoil. Has anyone ever tried this barrel for 9mm Major, if so I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

John

John,

I have a Storm Lake G-34 barrel, and use it and an old Optima frame mounted red dot from time to time. Also THE brass magwell, steel guiderod, and magcatch. Arredondo +6 basepads=23rds. And a drop-in trigger job.

It is basically a poor mans open gun. I don't reload 9mm, I just shoot WWB, and it doesn't quite make major with the ported barrel. But the ported barrel works!!! It's loud and very fast! I have a ball shooting it sometimes at my local weekly practice match.

I would think you would have to be very careful about shooting major 9mm. loads with that setup. However, I have a friend who uses the Storm Lake 6-port G-35 barrel with major loads, and does real well with it. At those pressures though, who knows how long it will last? Time will tell.

A search on this forum will tell you a lot about people's experience with 9mm open Glocks. Most guys use compensators, or comps and ports.

Larry

Thanks Larry,

Your G-34 sounds exactly like my "Poor mans" G-35 with a SL 6 port barrel. That's what got me thinking about doing the same thing to my G34. I'm beginning to agree that it might be best to shoot 9mm minor, should be about like a .22 with my 147 grain, Zero JHP's, running 900 fps, reloads.

John

John,

I guess the "Catch 22" here is, the hotter the load, the more effective the ported barrel. WWB is cheap and powerful enough to really make the ports do their thing without undue battering of the gun or muzzle blast, but a steady diet of "major" 9mm might not be a good idea. If you load too light though, the ports won't work effectively. Good luck!

Larry

9 Minor in Open sucks hind teat.

If you do one, do it for fun (or GSSF). If you make it your every day competition gun, then you will likely be back here in a year talking about it not being a great setup. And, you will be wondering how to get that year of your life back. ;)

Seriously, everybody has different goals and such. If you want to play around with a red dot some, go for it.

John,

If you do that, you will need to change ejectors and use 9mm mags. You will need a "conversion" 35 to 34 barrel, also. Not a stock 34 barrel. The slides are slightly different. I found out the hard way that a stock 35 barrel wouldn't fit the slide of my 34. Had to buy a 35 slide!

Larry

John,

If you do that, you will need to change ejectors and use 9mm mags.  You will need a "conversion" 35 to 34 barrel, also.  Not a stock 34 barrel.  The slides are slightly different.  I found out the hard way that a stock 35 barrel wouldn't fit the slide of my 34.  Had to buy a 35 slide!

Larry

Hi Larry,

That's correct, a 35 barrel will not work with a 34 slide. However, I'm told that a 34 barrel will work with a 35 slide. Having said that, Top Glock has two G-34 barrels, one for the 34 and one for a 35 conversion (Different part numbers). I tried calling them yesterday, their web site was down. I went to Storm Lakes web site, they only show one 9mm, 6 port barrel??? Some people change the extractor and ejector, some one or the other, some change nothing. Guess it's the luck of the draw. I'm going to try the stock 34 barrel on my 35 tomorrow, if it fits and functions I'll fire it. Will let the world know the results.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it very much. BTW, do you ever get over to the Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club in Orlando for the IDPA matches?

John

John,

Good luck, but I think you will need to change out the ejector, at least. The 9mm one is bent, and the .40 is straight. When I built my 35 slide to go on my 34 reciever, about the only part(s) that was the same, was the striker assembley.

No, sorry. I only belong to, and shoot, USPSA. Not bashing here, but IDPA just has too many rules I don't understand or agree with. I'm not saying it isn't great for others, just not for me.

Larry

I know the ejectors are different, wonder why? I shoot both IDPA & USPSA at three different clubs, can only make IDPA day at Orlando. I mounted my stock G-34 barrel in my 35 slide, seems to work, have not had a chance to shoot it yet.

Edited by oct_97