Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DA/SA Hammer Down AND Safety On?

Phineas7

3 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

{growl}   I was at a L2 match a few years ago when an RO asked, "Are you ready?" I was in the proper start position and place so I did and said nothing; just stared at the first target I intended to shoot. After a pause he said, "WELL. . .ARE YOU??!?!" (He was rather annoyed with me.) I said I wasn't required to respond and to please continue. He blew that off and said I did have to respond. The CRO wasn't there at the moment so someone suggested calling the RM. He said we didn't need the RM, all that was needed was for me to learn the rules.

When other shooters started laughing at him he got a look that was both pissed off and puzzled. Then one of those shooters pointed at me and told him, "He IS the Range Master!"

It was a special moment. I think he's still mad at me.

Priceless! 🤣😂🤣

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2020 at 10:21 PM, hey.moe said:

bret,

I'm not advocating for having the safety on with the hammer down. Just saying where the RO may have gotten the idea.

When he first told me that I had to put the safety on (while the hammer is down) I did contest it with him (twice actually) because it seemed so unreasonable. He kept paraphrasing some rule about every safety that the gun is capable of, must be used. I could not find any similar wording in the rule book. I did make a reasonable attempt to understand the rules before I posted here. Of course, I agree with everyone here, I just wanted to confirm I did not miss something in my research.

I do hope to make it to the next match (if it ever quite raining down here).

On 2/17/2020 at 9:26 PM, SGT_Schultz said:

I don't want to offend anyone either but I will firmly decline and refuse to follow directions that I know to be contrary to the rules no matter who is asking/directing me to do it.

It was my first match, so I was not sure it was contrary to the rules.

For all I knew, he was correct, and I was just complaining about a rule I disagreed with, so I let it go.