Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Collet Dies In An Rl550b

milanuk

Hello,

I've been getting very good results from a Lee Collet die in my .308 Win for my Long Range Prone gun, but I'd like to speed up the loading a little bit. My current steps of tumble clean, lube, bump the shoulder w/ a body die, neck size w/ the collet die, then tumble the lube off and run thru the Giraud trimmer, gives me a bin full of cases ready for primer, powder, and projectile at some later date. Seems like this 'two-stage' operation would lend itself very well to the 550... anybody see a reason why it wouldn't work, or anything I should watch for? I've been using the Collet die in .308 for a while, actually on my second die as the first one had a nasty habit of shoving the neck back down into the case if it wasn't cleaned real frequently, no matter what I did to it. New die (less than $20) and the problem was 'fixed'.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Monte

• 2 months later...

i can't comment on the 550 but i use a lee collet neck sizer for 223 in my RCBS piggyback progressive loader and my 223's work fine and are very accurate......please note that this is only for "play" ammo.......i use nickel cases so i won't get them confused with any other ammo....D I C K

Edited by dickwholliday