Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ipsc And Les Baer Stinger Mags?

diencaidau

I recently purchased a Les Baer Stinger I'd been coveting for a long time so that I could downsize from my full-size 1911 and have a more efficient carry gun, but one I could still shoot in IPSC matches--except I've discovered a problem: the Stinger struggles to perform with even some fairly high-end 10 rd. Wilson mags when I'm shooting IPSC stages (they don't seat fully). I did have a flawless run with a nice, worn old Wilson mag that had a heavy brass base plate, but it was borrowed only for a few rounds one afternoon.

I've tried both Wilson and McCormick 10 rounders (both with black rubber bases), and nothing seems to function as well as the stock Les Baer 7 rounder--only competing in an IPSC match proves difficult when you're only able to shoot 7 rounds before having to reload.

I want to shoot in IPSC matches the gun I most often carry, but I still want to compete. Can anyone suggest which mags might work best in a tight, new Les Baer Stinger for IPSC competitive applications? I'd welcome any and all educated responses.

diencaidau

Edited by diencaidau

The Stinger has a short grip frame (Officers style) correct? If you grip or move the mag while shooting (easy to do since it is much longer than the frame) this can cause feeding issues. Check your grip for issues contributing to the problem, try one handed, and have another person try shooting the gun (preferably an experienced someone with smaller hands) to help troubleshoot this issue. (To see if it is a gun or shooter problem.)

PS- Welcome to the forums.