Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sr4756 In 45acp

TBeazlie

I have 8lbs of 4756 I was using for 38 super in open, but I gave that up as it was too labor intensive. Everthing had to be just right or the gun would not run. I have gone back to limited, but in light of the provisional single stack 1911 division I am tempted to go back to the 45 acp. I see that the reloading manuals list 4756 as a potential powder for this caliber. Does anyone here have any experience with this powder in 45acp?

I have 8lbs of 4756 I was using for 38 super in open,  but I gave that up as it was too labor intensive.  Everthing had to be just right or the gun would not run.  I have gone back to limited, but in light of the provisional single stack 1911 division I am tempted to go back to the 45 acp.  I see that the reloading manuals list 4756 as a potential powder for this caliber.  Does anyone here have any experience with this powder in 45acp?

I think you could probably use it for 45 acp, however this is a really slow powder and would be much more suited to high pressure magnum calibers. 38 super it works good in since it has to crank out velocity. It is more suited to something like the super, 357, 41, or 44 magnums, and the like. Many people are using much faster stuff like clays, 231, bullseye etc for the 45 and in small amounts since it's a low pressure large caliber case. I would suspect an increase in flash and blast over some of the faster powders that are available. If I had a powder like that that I was no longer using, I tend to find people who can use it and maybe trade it for something I could use? :)

Vince

• 4 weeks later...