Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got my new CR speed holster last week and used it at our monthly steel shoot yesterday. I worked well, nice and secure. It did seem faster, but I only had time for one dry fire session before the match so I'm sure as I get more used to it my times will accelerate.

Any how, my question is this: What do you feel isthe best angle and position for a race holster?

I placed it just forward of the hip with the grip at about 10 oclock. This looks fairly close to most I've seen, but as this is my first race holster I'd like to hear some other opinions. It seems like a straighter angle might be faster...

Thanks,

Steve

I do it like this....

I consider the two most common start positions; hands at sides and surrender.....start with a comfortable start position, and I go for an imaginary gun, in the most natural-feeling straight line.  And that's where I put my gun.  I've tried different things over the last 13 years, and I always end up putting my holster in the same spot; in front of my right hip, kanted muzzle forward about 3-4 degrees.

I've fiddled with holster position over the years and have pretty much settled on the position TJ (and others) suggest-- a bit forward of the hip, muzzle pointing about 4-5" forward and inboard of your strong-side big toe.

I find it's about as fast as the others, doesn't involve sweeping any body parts on the draw, and doesn't poke you every time you sit or bend over.

Practicing by myself a lot on a range far from medical help has me much more aware of sweeping and such..