Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sdb -- Occasional Problems Stage 1?

I started loading .40S&W lately, with brand-new dies (thx HG!), and am having something occur that never happened with .45 nor 9mm: about 1 out of 20 cases won't get deprimed at the first stage.

AFAIK, this stage isn't adjustable, right? I'm using once-fired, cleaned brass -- this seems to almost always happen with "PMC" brass, but this might be a coincidence, since most of the brass *is* PMC.

Tx

This isn't unheard of, especially with 40 cal. Primers sometimes require enough pressure to remove that the anvil inside the primer gets jammed onto the end of the decap pin. Try using some fine sandpaper to break the edge on the end of the pin, so that the spent primer is less inclined to stick to it.

BTW, you might do a search under PMC brass on this site. HAve seen some reports of separations in 40 cal in this brand. :ph34r:

This isn't unheard of, especially with 40 cal. Primers sometimes require enough pressure to remove that the anvil inside the primer gets jammed onto the end of the decap pin. Try using some fine sandpaper to break the edge on the end of the pin, so that the spent primer is less inclined to stick to it.

BTW, you might do a search under PMC brass on this site. HAve seen some reports of separations in 40 cal in this brand. :ph34r:

400 rounds loaded tonight -- zero issues, after sanding the tip as you suggested. Many thanks!!

I did do a search on PMC brass, and wish I hadn't. But I'm loading long and soft, and if the brass truly is only once-fired....