Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FAL Barrel Length

Has anybody here chronographed the DSA carbine length guns to see what the actual velocity loss is as compared to the full length guns(in .308)?  If you have, what were the actual numbers.  I'm about to aquire a rifle and can't decide which length to go with.  There is the lingering fear that the barrel loss will turn the rifle into an overweight Kalishnikov...

I don't think the velocity loss is as significant as the accuracy loss.  My buddy's 16" DSA really is wanting in the accuracy department.  It's best is maybe a couple of inches at 100 yards - which translates into complete misses at 300.  I would consider getting a 20" bbl.  I think Kelly and a couple of the rifle gurus here will have some good tips on FAL's.

I've only picked up some of the long barrel models, but I'd stay away from the really heavy barrels for 3 gun.  They seem nose heavy and have all the driveability of a 2 Ton truck.

E

I shot Tawn Argeris' 16 inch DSA FAL (with full length handguard) at 2 major matches and had no trouble with 400 yard shots so it had enough velocity.  Accuracy is usually a function of barrel quality, lockup and ammunition.  Length has little do with accuracy.  I did not chrono Tawn's gun but I sure liked shooting it.  I can't give you numbers but it was not a fullsized AK.

Recently a customer of Derrick Martin's complained about the accuracy of their 16 in DSA FAL.  They said it was completely inaccurate.   Derrick asked me to shoot so I put a scope on it and my first 5 shot group was about 1 inch at 100 yards.  Not bad for a stock barrel!  Some guns just don't shoot but often times there is another problem: inaccruate ammo, loose sights, loose shooter etc.

I really like the handiness of the DSA 16 in rifle. Since it has a full length handguard you lose nothing in the handling department (unlike a CAR15).  

(Edited by kellyn at 8:38 pm on Aug. 29, 2002)

Kelly,

Did you have to do any ammo tweaking with Tawn's FAL?  We were sighting in with my handloads, which were essentially Fed 308M duplicates.  These ususally shoot 1/2 MOA or better out of my 700, so that my basis for dis'ing the accuracy of the FAL.  (A rifle that I LOVE in most every other respect.)  

E

Don't expect any semi-auto to shoot 1/2 MOA without a lot of tweaking.  Some ARs will do it but it is the very rare .308 that will.  I've never seen an M1A, FAL, Hk91 that came anywhere near shooting CONSISTENT 1/2 MOA groups.  My supergrade M1A with a douglas barrel shoots good but not that good.

My .308 FAL really likes Sierra 150 and 168 Matchkings with Varget or IMR 4895.  It shoots 110 VMaxs ok.  It does not really like 125 Nosler BTips which is too bad because I think that is prob the best 3 gun bullet for .308s.  Tawn's guns was awesomely accurate with Sierra 110 hollowpoints.  Go figure.  With that bullet his rifle was a 3/4 MOA gun, something I would not expect from a semi auto .308.   Sometimes it would shoot 1/2 MOA groups. Great for hoser stages but no ballistic coefficient.

I have loads that will shoot great in my 700 but neither my M1A or FAL will shoot.  You just got to test em.