Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Knock Knock

Kory

Driving across the desert from the colorado river back home on a holiday weekend, I think I hear a knock, knock, knock coming from the motor.

Yep, definately knocking.

Thinking that sounds an awful lot like a spun rod bearing, I hoped for something easier and cheaper, I rarely get what I hope for. It got worse, and I got towed the last 30 miles home.

Next day I pulled the V-6 out of the Buick, tore it down, and yep I spun the #5 rod bearing. Sometimes I hate being right.

If only I didn't hate working on cars so much, especially on my cars, even moreso when I need to work on them. :angry: argh

I priced out the rebuild at the machine shop I used to work at, my prices it would have been about $700 to redo the short block. Replacing: one piston (smacked head, probubly cracked ring lands), one con rod, and the crank(wasted), plus rings, gaskets, rod and main bearings and a quick cylinder hone.

I instead bought a low milage junkyard motor for $600 complete. It's now in the car and running good, lets hope it stays running good.

It isn't one of the cool RWD turbo Buicks, it's a lousy 97 LeSabre with the 3800 series-2 V-6.