Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester 1897- Restoration?

ezra650

So long story short I'm selling a gun collection locally for a family member. In the collection was this 12ga winchester 1897. I've heard these are popular with the SASS crowd. This one isn't a US service gun so no extreme collection value. However, the gun is missing it's forend and the butt stock is cracked in the grip area. The hammer spring is dead, and it's missing a pin/screw on the receiver and also needs a buttplate. Serial numbers show it was manufactured in 1920.

If I restore it I'll likely leave the buttstock as is and get a forend, buttplate, and whatever internals are needed.

Is it worth restoring to 100% function to sell or should I sell as is? Value for each way?

Looks like Sarco is my best bet for parts, any other recommendations?

See pics of gun here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wu5sxz7uguiz13g/AAChYBlkc2g_qalxw1NsW6Yfa?dl=0

Never shot SASS, but researched and bought a customized rifle for it. These guys are very particular in how they set up their guns. I would check prices on parts and the shop the gun as is on one of their forums. Let the cost results drive your decision.

18 hours ago, Jay1957 said:

Never shot SASS, but researched and bought a customized rifle for it. These guys are very particular in how they set up their guns. I would check prices on parts and the shop the gun as is on one of their forums. Let the cost results drive your decision.

What's a good SASS forum to visit?