Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Once-fired .40 + Glock 35 + Sdb

boo radley

Please put my mind to ease -- stumbled over an old thread, when I was searching for loading data, that has me slightly concerned, and I'm super confused about "roll-sizing", EGW dies, etc...

Bottom line: I'm planning on loading once-fired (from Midway or brassman) .40 S&W brass on my Dillon Square Deal to shoot in a Glock 35. I will run it all through a case-gauge before using it, but don't otherwise plan on any resizing beyond what the SDB does. I am *not* planning on keeping any of the brass (now twice-fired?) after I shoot it.

My question -- is there a reason to be concerned for safety? I'm planning on loading to around 170PF.

*Thx* -- I apologize for the rash of questions, lately, but my transformation is almost complete.

I shot a long slide Glock for 3-4 years. I was fun. Especially when the 1911 guys started ribbing me about my plastic gun. And how quiet it got when I kicked their butts in the shoot.

I reloaded my 40's many times and shot them again and again in the Glock. I did have a few case head seperations until I backed the resize die off a bit. I found that the swollen bases that were caused by the unsupported chamber on the Glock would not resize with normal dies. So the resize die would come down and actually thin out the brass just at the top of the base of the case. This is what I thought made the case head seperations. Once I backed off the resize die I never had the problem again. I never had a problem with feeding my reloads, but they wouldn't fit in any other gun except a Glock.

I used to reload 40 on a SDB for my Glock 35.

Just make sure you aren't getting any bullet setback (test by measuring, then pressing the round between your bench and your thumb, then measuring again).

Use a safe powder and load to a safe OAL

Ah, thx everyone. Thought of getting a seperate press just to resize wasn't a happy one. I will just use the same n320 I've been using for .45, I guess, and work upwards from around 4.7gr.

Man, there's a *ton* of data out here on this load, fortunately.

"I never had a problem with feeding my reloads, but they wouldn't fit in any other gun except a Glock. "

This was the same experience a frined had w/ a Glock 22 & Dillon dies; worked in a Glock but not in any other .40 he owned. He had one seperation using a mild load of Unique. Likely due to set-back.

A better test for set-back is to take your reloading calipers to the range with you for this test: periodically during shooting a full magazine, remove a round that has been chambered. Take out 4 or 5 champered. Measure it. Set back of les than 5 thou is normal. much more than that & you are risking a seperation.

One more note: most guys see the listed OAL & think its the SUGGESTED oal when it is actually the MINIMUM OAL. DO NOT USE THE MINIMUM OAL!!!!. Glocks can handle out to 1.155" easily; I always consider using a longer OAL to lower pressure.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

boo,

4.7g of 320 might be for a longer OAL than is common for the Glock. Many laods listed around here are for STI-type of guns...which often like a longer OAL.

It is vital to always start with less powder and work your ways up in load development.

boo,

4.7g of 320 might be for a longer OAL than is common for the Glock.  Many laods listed around here are for STI-type of guns...which often like a longer OAL.

It is vital to always start with less powder and work your ways up in load development.

Yup, good point.

I just ordered 2k Zero JHP's from Shooters Connection, and figure I'll try:

180gr Zero JHP 1.145" OAL at 4.4gr N320, 4.6gr N320 and 4.8gr N320.

Sound reasonable in a G35? Hopefully one of those will get me close: I'd like to make 170PF.

It's funny -- working up an accurate, consistent load was a breeze for my 1911 in .45, but it's proving almost impossible with 9mm (at least using n320). I'm hoping this .40S&W experience won't be like the latter.

• 2 weeks later...
4.7g of 320 might be for a longer OAL than is common for the Glock.  Many laods listed around here are for STI-type of guns...which often like a longer OAL.

Well, did some tests this evening.

Glock 35 180gr Zero JHP loaded to 1.142".

4.3 n320 = 166pf 10 shot sd = 8

4.6 n320 = 172pf 10 shot sd = 6

I had some 4.9 rounds loaded up, but didn't bother shooting them.

I also clocked some CCI Blazer 180gr FP's: 181pf. 10 shot sd = 11

So it looks like 4.5 or 4.6 at this length should be *perfect*. Very nice recoiling round, too, especially with the tungsten guide-rod and THE magwell. Finally, it seems pretty accurate - 3" or less at 25y, and I'm new to the gun and still fighting the trigger.

Boo-

Do you think that the longer OAL is more accurate? I am loading the Zero 180 bullet with 4.4 gr Titegroup at an OAL of 1.130". I was also wondering how much crimp is preferred. My crimp is .420". I was wondering if I would be better served to run a tighter crimp? I am sure I would have to back off on the powder though. Right now I am averaging 169 PF in my Glock 35.

Boo-

Do you think that the longer OAL is more accurate?  I am loading the Zero 180 bullet with 4.4 gr Titegroup at an OAL of 1.130".  I was also wondering how much crimp is preferred.  My crimp is .420".  I was wondering if I would be better served to run a tighter crimp?  I am sure I would have to back off on the powder though.  Right now I am averaging 169 PF in my Glock 35.

Rocket35 -- I'm truly not the right person to answer this question; I'm brand-new to loading the .40, and pretty damn new to Glocks, too.

I loaded long mostly because of Flex's warning, and some probably misguided notion that the closer you can start a bullet to the lands in a Glock, the better....

My crimp is from .420-.423, depending on how I hold the calipers, but since there's no set-back, if I jam a bullet against the bench with all my strength....I guess that's tight enough, or does it even matter?

I'm going to try to get to the range tomorrow afternoon, with a new trigger, and see what kind of groups I can get.

Steve

Let me know what you find out. I am going to do some practicing today in preparation for the MN Sectional, so I will do groups with what I have. I have heard something about loading as long as what will fit in the magazine. Not sure if that was for accuracy or to ensure the pressures don't get too high. But I am worried about reliability, so I kept my loads to 1.130". My next batch I am going to seat the bullets out to 1.135, 1.140 and 1.145" and see what I can come up with.

I have seen other posts recently that warn not to over crimp. So I think the crimp is good to go. I was just concerned that there wasn't enough crimp to get an efficient burn with the Titegroup.

Let me know what you find out.  I am going to do some practicing today in preparation for the MN Sectional, so I will do groups with what I have.  I have heard something about loading as long as what will fit in the magazine.  Not sure if that was for accuracy or to ensure the pressures don't get too high.  But I am worried about reliability, so I kept my loads to 1.130".  My next batch I am going to seat the bullets out to 1.135, 1.140 and 1.145" and see what I can come up with.

I have seen other posts recently that warn not to over crimp.  So I think the crimp is good to go.  I was just concerned that there wasn't enough crimp to get an efficient burn with the Titegroup.

I did shoot today -- big difference was, I had the RS trigger job in the gun. Shot a couple rested 10-shot groups, here's a pic. of the best -- 2.3", but the rest were 3" or so. Strange thing about this group was, I shot 5 with no two shots touching, then reloaded, and shot another 5.

Anyway -- accurate enough. Unfortunately, I can't blame the gun for a miserable performance yesterday when it counted. All these groups were shot with the same load ~1.42", and 4.2-4.3gr of n320. I think I could tighten them up a tad with a hotter load, but at least they work.

g35.jpg

Group looks good. So you didn't have any failures to feed then? I will have to load longer OAL. I think that will help my accuracy. I am getting about the same groups at 15yards offhand. Benching only improves them slightly. Thanks for the feedback.

Group looks good.  So you didn't have any failures to feed then?  I will have to load longer OAL.  I think that will help my accuracy.  I am getting about the same groups at 15yards offhand.  Benching only improves them slightly.  Thanks for the feedback.

R35 -- this load has run 100%, so far. Maybe 140, or so, at Saturday's match, and then about 100 today.

As far as accuracy, I understand, completely. I have a G34 that still doesn't group worth a sh*t with reloads, despite sending it to Smyrna, waiting 5 weeks, and having it sent back with a test-target (15y), and new locking block and slide-stop. My hunch is they just replaced these parts to say they did something. Truthfully, it *did* shoot CCI Blazer not half-bad, and before sending it off, I, too, could have duplicated the test-target.

My *hunch* from a sample size of 2, and talking with friends who shoot 'em, is that 34/35's are inherently 2.5/3" @25 guns, with a few outstanding examples, and an equal number, at least, if you filter internet BS, that are 4" guns.

Boo-

Do you feel the brass magwell improves recoil control? I just have a Glockmwister aluminum one. I have been thinking of getting a brass one for the added weight. I am running a GSR extended tungston guiderod for additional muzzle weight. I was thinking that the brass magwell would help balance it out a bit. Let me know what you think of it. Thanx-

Boo-

Do you feel the brass magwell improves recoil control?  I just have a Glockmwister aluminum one.  I have been thinking of getting a brass one for the added weight.  I am running a GSR extended tungston guiderod for additional muzzle weight.  I was thinking that the brass magwell would help balance it out a bit.  Let me know what you think of it.  Thanx-

I think it does, but I haven't shot her *without* the magwell, so my opinion is uninspired.

I'm not too sure of the physics of the whole thing; I mean it's a pretty heavy chunk of weight on the bottom of the grip, and if the recoil lifts the barrel, maybe it makes it worse? Dunno.

just to confirm things for you guys .. i load for my G35 at 1.135 .420-1 crimp and with 180gr most anything bullet(s) and Titegroup at 4.4 gr. this makes major for me with the stock barrel and a storm lake barrel around 170-172..

i can't say that the storm lake made any difference accuracy wise; that i noticed anyway.. although i do think the 35 likes a tad hotter round to be more accurate, then again that maybe the barrel design that does that..

I use once fired from Brassman.. most matches i shoot are lost brass anyway so why spend more then you need to.. just take a look at the brass when putting it in the tumbler to make sure there are no obvious cracks etc..

I also have a Tungsten rod ISMI 15lb spring and a "THE" brass magwell.. which i think balances the gun very nicely.. and i like the overall weight..

I'd be careful with the N320.. it's a nice poweder just expensive compared to Titegroup

And like others have said, yeah tons of load data but mostly for S?I type frames check Glocktalks reloading forum.. but i think you hit it pretty close to the mark.

Jeff.