Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Interesting Bullet Holes With Berry's Bullets

mcb

Sorry, I shot them all up out of another gun.

Kevin C.

uhhhhhhh,

No silly, the ones you dug out of the hill. I could get plenty of pics of unfired Berry's Bullets

With another brand of plated bullet I had a similar problem. These flat nosed bullets would make a star patterned hole on the targets. I dug them out of a new sand berm and confirmed that the plating had peeled in strips back to the bearing surface of the bullets. This only happened with a certain brand of OEM barrel which, in my personal experience (read that as two barrels) were on the low side on bore diameter. Accuracy, as you might imagine, was poor out of those barrels, but fine out of other guns where this peeling back didn't occur.

fwiw,

kevin c.

Sorry, I chucked them back into the berm, and that was six months ago. I should have said that I didn't have the first bullets I dug out, and that I shot up all the ammo a ways back so that I can't shoot some more out of the same gun to recover the bullets.

My apologies for being vague (twas a long day...) :P

Berrys,West Coasts they are all the Same ---"Plated Bullets" they have Plate tears as are shown in pics posted to tumbling bullets. These I have found are more previlent in a match barrel than your factory barrels due to the sharper rifleing that shaves off the plate. Some times depenting on the barrel,load and weight of the bullet it can be bad or no factor at all. I have barrels that shoot 180's and 220"s just fine but tumble the 200's. I have barrels that shoot them all fine.and I some that don't....If the cost is a factor as it is with me try the diff weights and diff loads and find a combo that works in your barrel and stick with it, or go to jacketed or straight lead.................the plated bullets use a soft lead or swaging lead under them and then strike the plate around it, once the sharp rifling or deeper rifling cuts throught the plate the softer lead underneath cannot hold the rifling as well and slips on it and peels off the plate. Depeneding on how bad it can even cause the bullet to tumble. Ever notice a guy shooting open with plated bullets. bam, bam, bam BOOM AND FLASH, and he can't imagin why, well this is because of the plate tearing off. and the powder and gases are getting in front of the bullet.That is what also tumbles the bullet when this happens and the bullet is leaving the barrel. The crimp can also do the same thing or start the process in the reloading process,however a larger bell on the brass just seems to eleviate the wrinkling of the bullet upon seating. However this is just my observation and I might be all wrong.....IPSC isn't it a great game!!!!!

.........Depeneding on how bad it can even cause the bullet to tumble. Ever notice a guy shooting open with plated bullets. bam, bam, bam BOOM AND FLASH, and he can't imagin why, well this is because of the plate tearing off. and the powder and gases are getting in front of the bullet.That is what also tumbles the bullet when this happens and the bullet is leaving the barrel........

Geeez, THIS made me thinking.... It has been a mystery for me. Like this:

I am shooting and all of sudden I feel like I had a increditable light load. Gun doesn't recoil much. BUT there's this big muzzle flash I can see and sometimes, there's unburnt powder left in the chamber. Usually shell get ejected and there's no damage.

No one seems to figure this out. Do you think this is what you are explaning?

Geeez, THIS made me thinking.... It has been a mystery for me.  Like this:

I am shooting and all of sudden I feel like I had a increditable light load.  Gun doesn't recoil much.  BUT there's this big muzzle flash I can see and sometimes, there's unburnt powder left in the chamber.  Usually shell get ejected and there's no damage.

No one seems to figure this out.  Do you think this is what you are explaning?

That sounds more like a bullet a few thousandths undersize to me.

I am shooting and all of sudden I feel like I had a increditable light load.  Gun doesn't recoil much.  BUT there's this big muzzle flash I can see and sometimes, there's unburnt powder left in the chamber.  Usually shell get ejected and there's no damage.

Its does doesn't it ............ However have you ever loaded up bullets intentially that are undersize and shot them? this is not what happens until you really go undersize. not the inconsistancy I have found in the plated bullets.

It happens only once in say, hm, 2000 rounds and I have no idea if there's undersized bullet in one in 2000 rounds when using Berry.

So whatever the reason - either plate peeling off or bullet too small - it is the sympton of.... what is it? bullet flying off too early? :)

Its does doesn't it ............ However have you ever loaded up bullets intentially that are undersize and shot them? this is not what happens until you really go undersize. not the inconsistancy I have found in the plated bullets.