Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loads For Indoor Range

Cotys

I'm looking for some recommendations for loads indoor range shooting. I'm using Rainier 230 gr RN. Concerns are:

1. Reduced airborne lead (hence the Rainier, 95% reduction of lead). Any low lead primers out there?

2. Clean burning powder so not to smoke up the place.

The range has a great ventilation system. I've noticed Wolf and Unique can create a lot of smoke, indoors or out.

Any thoughts?

We shoot indoor IDPA matches during the winter in a less than well-venelated range. Indoors I switch from 230 grain Precision bullets to Montana Gold 230 grain CMJ. The covered base of the CMJ eliminates all exposed lead at the gun. I also use Clays (indoor and outdoor) because it works well with little smoke.

PMC makes their Green Line of primers which are lead-free, however I have not tried them.

I shoot the majority of the time at an indoor range, as well. I have used the montana Gold CMJ in the past, but switched to West coast bullets. Same results as far as lead, but the West Coast are less expensive, since they are plated.

I have been using Vit N310, which is very clean, but I am getting ready to switch to Clays. From everything I have heard and read the two powders are extremely simular, and Clays is a little less $$.

Sorry, I have not looked into lead free primers.

• 5 weeks later...
I'm looking for some recommendations for loads indoor range shooting.  I'm using Rainier 230 gr RN.  Concerns are:

1.  Reduced airborne lead (hence the Rainier, 95% reduction of lead).  Any low lead primers out there?

2. Clean burning powder so not to smoke up the place.

The range has a great ventilation system.  I've noticed Wolf and Unique can create a lot of smoke, indoors or out.

Any thoughts?

I have used 3.6 to 4.0 gr. Clays wwith the 230 gr. Rainier and federal primer in the S&W625 in addition to several autos (1911, PO14-45, Pardini GT-45, Sig220).

Tony

Edited by TonyT