Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idpa Revo

rubberneck

I am entertaining the idea of buying a used Revo for use in IDPA. Other than shooting the odd Python and S&W here and there I really know next to nothing when it comes to revolvers. I don't want to spend more than $400-450 right now with out knowing if I'll enjoy shooting it as much a my other guns. Does anyone have a recomendation they would like to make?

Also, I don't care if the gun is in SSR or ESR.

Thanks,

Pete

If I were starting over in IDPA and unsure about SSR class and if I would like it, I would buy a Model 10 S&W with a 4" heavy barrel.

On the idea of this

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayi...itemnum=6889869

Short money, excellent IDPA revolver, holsters and speed loaders are plentiful, and if you don't like SSR, you can most likely get your investment back.

Regards,

You really can't go wrong with an S&W K or L frame Revolver. Check your local gun stores and pawn shops for a good used Model 686. The 686 is a stainless steel L frame in .357 Magnum. Very durable, easy to maintain, fits most people's hand, plenty of holsters/accesories, many uses, cheap to buy and easy to resell. Other choices are Models 10,14,15,19,64,66. Those are all K frames, the magnum variants are a less durable than the 686, so stick with .38 loads.

The K frame revolver has been around since the 1890's. It was designed for .38 Special pressures. In an effort to improve their performance Bill Jordan suggested to S&W that it was possible to chamber the .357 Magnum in a K frame (previous to this the .357 Magnum was only available in an N frame, the same as the modern day .44 Magnum). This gun became the Model 19 Combat Magnum, the Police Officer's best friend, light and handy but packed a whallop. The only problem was that prolonged firing of Magnum loads in a K frame quickly wears them out, especially if you shoot 125 gr. loads in one (DO NOT do this, S&W specifically warns against 125 gr. loads, stick with the 158 gr. loads). Bill Jordan anticipated this and figured it was worth it for what the gun was supposed to do. Most Cops only qualify once or twice per year and Bill suggested they use .38 Special loads then. The only other time the gun would be fired was in a fight. People still shot the heck out of the K frames and wore them out (hunting, etc.) so S&W came out with the L frame, same grip size, beefier frame and larger cylinder to digest a steady diet of ALL Magnum loads. This gun is either the 586 (blue steel) or 686 (stainless steel) Distinguished Combat Magnum. If you anticipate frequent use of Magnum or Major Power Factor loads, go with the L frame. They're very common, affordable, and easy to resell (although you won't want to). Some people prefer the slightly smaller K frame with it's lower bore axis and weight for pure target (i.e. .38 Special loads only) work.

Nice Story Rob, but S&W actually came out with the L Frame to compete with the Python in PPC. Thus the name "Distinguised" Combat magnum. It was to compete in the Distinguished Division and have the heavier barrel for stability that the Python had. They even tried front and rear adjustable sights to lure in the masses.

I shot a lot of SuperVel full power loads in the 12 years I carried my 19 and never wore it out.. Qualification 4 times per year and lots of range time with new guys. Current SSR IDPA revolvers are 66-1 in 4" and 2.5" and both keep on plugging along.

Find something cheap that fits your hand and see how it works for you. When you go for speed loaders, try to stick to Safariland.

Regards,

Gary