Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hello from a beginner in Maine

Vikhyat

Hello all,

After having shot a few years at a static, sit down at the firing line range for a couple of years, I recently joined a new club here in Southern Maine that has action shooting bays and such with the intention of trying my hand at 3gun. Along with that, I decided to give USPSA a shot, knowing pistol would be my weakest area. Well, I'm enjoying USPSA more than the three gun matches so I'm looking to improve and focus more of my effort there. Currently I'm shooting a stock CZ P01, but I'm looking to pick up either a TSO in 40 for Limited or a Czechmate for open, currently leaning slightly more towards the Czechmate. I've shot a couple "outlaw" USPSA matches at my club, and (unsurprisingly) did rather poorly but enjoyed it so I'm looking to make a real effort to improve. To that end, I've picked up Dry Fire: Reloaded and Refinement and Repetition should be here today to help get me started. Any advice, tips, etc. that people would care to share is always appreciated.

-Josh

Welcome!  We don't have the shooting season that a lot of the southern and western folks do but we pack a lot into what we do have!  Lee Cabana from Maine is running for Area 7 Director and his group from Maine holds matches year round.  I'm thinking that you shoot with his group at Hampden and Capital?    Lot's of really good people from your neck of the woods and I had the pleasure of meeting a lot of them at the Area 7 championship a few years back.  This is a link to the calendar for area 7  http://www.uspsa-ne.org/

If you ever head down to Massachusetts,  I hold winter indoor matches at Mystic Valley Gun Club in Malden, MA from November to April. 

Hi Kimmie, thanks for the link to the calendar, it's very helpful in seeing what's available in our neck of the woods. Yeah, the shooting season can be unfortunately brief around here. I haven't shot at Hampden or Capitol yet, just got my feet wet doing some outlaw matches at the Scarborough Fish and Game. I'm definitely going to check out the official matches around here and may even get down to Mass for a shoot at some point!

-Josh