Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger sticking at beginning of DA pull

Sabrewolfy

I just bought another Stock II, and I did a trigger job as a hobby and to educate myself about the gun.  Joe at PD did the trigger work on my first gun.

Anyway, new parts:

- Titan Hammer

- Bolo

- Xtreme 1 piece sear

- PD reduced power trigger return spring

- PD reduced power sear spring

- PD optimized FP spring

I polished everything per the great videos by Memphis Mechanic.  I mostly used a dremel and metal polish, but occasionally used some fine grinding stones with the dremel.

The trigger is pretty good, except it occasionally (maybe 20% of the time) sticks at the very beginning of the DA pull, adding 1-2 pounds to the pull.  It's like the safety is on but slips off after you pull hard enough.  Right now, it's actually impossible for the safety to be on because I need to either take some material off the 1 piece sear leg or off the cam on the safety lever.

At first I thought it was the plunger under the trigger bar.  I disassembled that, re-polished and lubed everything, but that wasn't it.

Then I thought maybe the 1 piece sear was sticking (since it feels like the safety is on when it's sticking).  I disassembled that, re-polished and lubed everything, but that wasn't it either.

I'm out of ideas right now.  I'm running a heavy hammer spring (17lbs, as long as it's smooth, I don't really care about a heavier DA, and I like knowing it will set off anything, every time).

SA is just over 3lbs

DA is just over 8lbs when it doesn't stick.

When installing the bolo, I had to take off about .020 off the inner curve per PD instructions to get the bolo to engage the trigger bar.  I didn't need to do any other adjustments.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Sabrewolfy

I would take it back apart and look for a pin not full seated. They should be flush or slightly low.  (trigger, hammer)

Inspect each piece for wear marks,  burr or similar.

No magic, just close inspection

When I get around to it, I have a gun where the trigger rubs the frame slightly at the other end of the pull. You never notice it unless you take up the pre-travel & then let off without pulling the trigger. 

Wasn't sure what the deal was and then noticed a slight rub mark on the side of the trigger.

Maybe something to look for? 

One other thing...

Check the hammer strut.  i had one that had a burr and it rubbed. 

There could be a burr in the hammer spring hole or rough machining.  the hammer spring could also be bent and binding. The strut could also be too large diameter for the spring, or the spring too small.  I'd turn it upside down after polishing the spring.  the strut should easily slide in and out.  i reduce their diameter and mirror polish.