Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trail Boss

mikesrc

Been talked about already. Here http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24987 and here http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21699.

Not promising for the bottom feeders but I'm sure someone is going to try it even though there isn't any load data for it. I did pick up a jug to try for my 38SPL. We'll see how it works in a 2" S&W 642.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought some Trail Boss powder yesterday. Gone are the IMR tin cans of yesterday; as of 2005, all IMR will come in plastic jars just like the rest of the Hodgdon powders (hodgdon bought IMR).

Cost 9 OZ: $12.99 at Bass Pro shops retail store in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Looks strange. will try it with lead bullets only & see what takes place. D.

Well guys I got a chance to try the Trail boss in 45 ACP. I used 5.0 grs and 200 swc gr Rainier bullet. Not very powerful but damn its accurate. I think I've found the plinking load of a lifetime. 5.0 grs is compressed a little. No way in hell can you over charge a case. Wish I had a chorno. I would quess its 750-800 or there abouts

Mike In OKC

• 2 weeks later...

Hope to get out to the range tomorrow weather permitting; 4.0 grns under the strange Berry's 185 - the one that is the size of a 230 w/ a hollow base like a Minnie ball. Will report back provided mother nature cooperates. D.

DATA COMPILED!!!

Used the Smith & Wesson 625 (model of 1989) w/ the 5" barrel

1st load up was the one listed above: 3.0 grains of Trail Boss under the strange hollow-based 185 grn TMJ'd or plated round nose @ 1.260" OAL:

Average Velocity (12 rounds) 351.1 feet per second; SD 28 Power Factor 64.9

OK - stop laughing. Maybe I was a little TOO cautious here. Not a lot of recoil. Not much velocity either; you could see them flying down range.

Next up was 4.0 grns w/ same bullet & OAL:

537.5 FPS SD 28.4 Power Factor: 99.4

Sooooo - not up to ICORE standards yet. May try again next week, though not looking good at all for Major.

D.C. Johnson